Where to go from Kontrol S2?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to go from Kontrol S2?

Hi guys,
    I currently play on my MacBook and the NI Kontrol S2. I have it mapped
    Out and enjoy using the jog wheels for effects etc. I've recently started getting gigs and I think that I really need to be using the CDj's or vinyl decks and mixer in the clubs. Firstly as it is hassle for everyone for me to get the Kontrol setup, it would be so much easier to be able to plug my laptop in and go with what they have there.. Also I think it looks more professional than the kontrol S2.Also I gave noticed the volume that comes from the Kontrol doesn't seem to be that loud. What are my best options? Ideally I would like to continue to use traktor.any advice would be appreciated.
    Cheers,
    Austin

Tech Guru

The easiest way to transition to the club setup is to get a timecode-compatible sound card like the Traktor Audio 6. That way you can use any CDJ or turntable with Traktor.

You might also want to get an X1 for loading tracks, cuepoints, and controlling effects.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

1) Some CDJs/mixers are Traktor certified and can be used as midi controllers or in HID-mode (plug them into your laptop)
    2) You can also buy a NI audio interface with timecode CDs/vinyl and only bring your audio interface and your computer to the club (there are also Traktor certified mixers so you wouldn't even have to bring your soundcard)

As you said you switched the jog wheels to control FX - why not drop them at all and take a small controller for the transport section (like an X1 or Xone K2) and use the club's mixer? You will always find some space for a K2 and with some mapping, you can control anything in Traktor (even the remix decks).

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Pioneer XDJ-AERO is worth considering, especially if you're likely to be playing clubs with CDJ 2000s or 900s. It's portable for gigs, gets you 'away' from looking at screens and wave forms, but you can still use it quite decently with Traktor (the TSI is really well worked out and works with 4 decks).

Ok, there's no hot cues, and the tiny display screens are disspointing, but the sound from the hardware mixer is excellent, and I really like the effects and filters. Initially I thought them limiting but it kinda forces you to be more creative and tbh I've found them more 'musical' for me than Traktor's.

I also found myself enjoying the jogdrum, which tbh works just like the a big cue button so that still translates well to the CDJs.

They're well worth considering and is a great sounding and very flexable unit that doesn't swamp your home (great if bedroom/small apartment) as I found when I had CDJs/DJM at home.
    CDJ 2000s : DJM 900: Reloop RP-7000s : Mixvibes Cross 3+ : HPCompaq : iMac: Maschine 2 : Traktor Pro2 : XDJ-AERO : RMX1000
    facebook.com/djanedalton / and my DJ alter-ego, The Imperatrixx

My advice would be to go to a club owner were you recently had a gig or one you know good. And ask if you could practice on the club gear.

I also use a Kontrol S2 at home and I am not planning on bringing that to my first gig. So I talked to one of my friend old colleague, who now is a co -owner of a new cultural initiative. There are two sets of cdj's and mixer. And most imported a PA for max 800 guests.

You can choose to spin with cd's of usb but you write that you would like to use Traktor. No problem. You can use the cdj's (2000/nexus) as midi controllers, just like your Kontrol S2. Or you could use NI time code cd's.

The following clip show's you how to setup the cdj's as midi controllers.

http://blog.dubspot.com/native-instr...d-controllers/

No sound card needed.
    DJ Kontrol S2 || Traktor 2.6 || MBP 15" 16G Retina || MACKIE MR5 MKII ||

Prod. PC Duo Core || 22" LG || Ableton Live 9 || AKAI MPK mini

You could just go with X1's and a soundcard, that's what I'm thinking about doing. Just cable everything up before hand, so you can just pull it out of your bag, plug in and go.

So many CDJ setups where I have been are all crazy or beat up so bad, you really have to have played there before to know what's up. For example, is something not working because of something I'm doing or is the button just broken,etc.

I don't play out all that much but I hate the idea of using another setup that I have never used before. I suppose if you have played thousands of gigs on every setup, you just adjust to anything.

Or......

Just learn to spin on CDJs.

Thank you for all your response. The reason I would like to continue using traktor is all music library is in my laptop and after being a digital dJ burning CD's just doesn't seem like a path I wanna go down. But I do feel to progress I need to move to more professional equipment.

If you're after a controller for practicing beatmatching at home so you can use the CDJ's in the club, I would recommend the reloop TM2/4 or the behringer CMD-4A, they both have nice large hi res pitch faders, big jogs and they are fairly cheap, I wouldn't think it would be too much more than the amount you would get selling your S2.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast