anyone else using Linux on their music workstation?

Default anyone else using Linux on their music workstation?

Hi everyone, just wondering who else has experimented with using linux on their music computers. I've been experimenting with different distros and different linux DAWs and settled upon Planet CCRMA distro and a buzz tracker interpretation called Aldrin. some people call it buzz meets reason.

My only wish is there was a more active following for it, it's hard to get help on it and get tips and suggestions, like you could find in a second for ableton or fruity.

pluses for aldrin:
    1)love the tracker and modular and "arranger" modes, like buzz this seems quicker to work with and less arduous then having to copy and paste tracker patterns in renoise. (my opinion, others work differently)

2)integrated freesound search and download. need a sample? it can be searched for and downloaded all from within aldrin.

http://code.google.com/p/aldrin-sequencer/

planet CCRMA: http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/
    We don't believe in the star system. We want the focus to be on the music. If we have to create an image, it must be an artificial image. That combination hides our physicality and also shows our view of the star system. It is not a compromise-daftpunk

I have thought about it but never actually tried linux for music production - the latency certainly puts both PC and MAC to shame though so i have read.

I have tried Linux on one of my laptops to see what it sall about for music production.
    The distro I was using was Unbuntu Studio and it was not all that bad.
    However I have been used to using windows to long and was to lazy to do a switch at the time.
    I may return to it soon here because I have recently begun using a Mac and wanna set up the three different systems.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

There is a decent sized "Build a Linux DAW" article in the Autumn copy of Computer Music mag for anyone who's interested...
    MacBook, Senn. HD25 II, Traktor Pro, Xone:2D + X-Session Pro
    New Ableton Live 8

jonparker.co.uk | soundcloud.com/jonparker | @jonparkeruk