Steam Controller revealed - the next big DJ thing?
    Tech Wizard

Default Steam Controller revealed - the next big DJ thing?

http://store.steampowered.com/living...eamController/
    Today, Valve have revealed their new Steam controller. The feature set seems pretty cool for DJing, especially since it's designed to be "hacked" by the community. It is also built to provide very low input latencies.
    I see a lot of potential for controlling FX and all that stuff.
    If the controller manufacturers won't design good controllers with really touch-sensitive pads, we have to make our own controllers :P
    The most prominent elements of the Steam controller are its two circular trackpads. Driven by the player’s thumbs, each one has a high-resolution trackpad as its base. It is also clickable, allowing the entire surface to act as a button. The trackpads allow far higher fidelity input than has previously been possible with traditional handheld controllers. Steam gamers, who are used to the input associated with PCs, will appreciate that the Steam Controller’s resolution approaches that of a desktop mouse.
    The Steam Controller is built around a new generation of super-precise haptic feedback, employing dual linear resonant actuators. These small, strong, weighted electro-magnets are attached to each of the dual trackpads. They are capable of delivering a wide range of force and vibration, allowing precise control over frequency, amplitude, and direction of movement.
    What do you think? Can this controller be an alternative to the likes of the Midifighter?

Do you have to pick it up and hold it in order to make use of it? To me, that's a big factor.

I think people making their own stuff is more interesting than any single upcoming product.

No but I love the mixer in the white turntable setup in the living room pictured on their web page (check it out http://store.steampowered.com/living...eamController/)

But video game controllers have been around a long time, and while they can be fun to remap for DJ use, I think you'll always be better off with something designed with DJing in mind. I mapped a few video game controllers to run effects in Traktor; they've been in a closet for well over a year now.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Quote Originally Posted by djproben View Post
    No but I love the mixer in the white turntable setup in the living room pictured on their web page (check it out http://store.steampowered.com/living...eamController/)

But video game controllers have been around a long time, and while they can be fun to remap for DJ use, I think you'll always be better off with something designed with DJing in mind. I mapped a few video game controllers to run effects in Traktor; they've been in a closet for well over a year now.
    Lol just a crossfade!

I feel this one could be different tho because of the touch trackpad.

Can someone post more pics? i cant get on the steam wesite at work (
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter