Cut points when mixing live? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    I'm gonna go off the beaten path here so far, and could get flamed to hell for it, but here's my bit on it.

I will agree, know your tracks, especially your "secret weapons." This is true for a variety of reasons, not just for this particular topic. For a lot of people, routine practice will get you there no problem.

I have a Top-40 residency at a small nightclub around the area, and frequently end up pulling the newest stuff from my record pool a few days in advance of the gig. This means I don't usually have a lot of time to commit tracks to heart. What I typically do is prep each track something like this:

Cue point 1 at the best mix-in point.
    Cue point 2 at the first drop
    Cue point 3 at the breakdown after first drop
    Cue point 4 at the second drop

I then put in Cue point 8 at the natural mix-out point of the track. With tracks prepped this way, it's a matter of mixing Cue 1 of the new track on Cue 8 of the old track, giving you a seamless mix.

Hoping I won't incite a riot here with this laptop-centered blasphemy
    While there's nothing wrong with that, it's a little bit of a "paint by numbers" way of doing it. Since it's top 40 it's makes way more sense to do that but with non pop electronic music, it's always more interesting to hear a DJ mixing 2-4 tracks for long periods of time and going with "feeling" and intuition. Sometimes this leads to complications like a perceptible drop in energy but that doesn't out-weigh the feeling of a good DJ really "workin' it" and doing things on the fly. It feels much less static and stale to me. Just IMHO
    Last edited by SirReal; 09-29-2013 at 11:54 PM.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Sunshine View Post
    Cue point 1 at the best mix-in point.
    Cue point 2 at the first drop
    Cue point 3 at the breakdown after first drop
    Cue point 4 at the second drop

I then put in Cue point 8 at the natural mix-out point of the track. With tracks prepped this way, it's a matter of mixing Cue 1 of the new track on Cue 8 of the old track, giving you a seamless mix.
    I do the same thing.

knowing your tracks simply.

cutting track A when the buildup on B starts is generally how i do it,
    But ive edited all my tracks so i know when the builds are gona start and drop :P
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    knowing your tracks simply.

cutting track A when the buildup on B starts is generally how i do it,
    But ive edited all my tracks so i know when the builds are gona start and drop :P

Most tracks have a natural in- and out-point, but doing your own edits is a cool way of making it easier for you. Until the official "extended club remix" is released a bit of tune-chopping and Acid Pro-knowledge have made my day several times... What software do you use Cook? Ableton?

yup ableton, ive always generally got my buildups coming in after 3 sets of 16 and going into the drop at 4th set, Edited all my tracks like that for about a year now, never f'd a mix up since
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

know your tracks, but....If you realize that you dropped your new cue too early or too late. You can just 4 bar loop the new or old track, for one bar, just get em back on track.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by 031999 View Post
    know your tracks, but....If you realize that you dropped your new cue too early or too late. You can just 4 bar loop the new or old track, for one bar, just get em back on track.
    This is where that "loop 8" on the VCI-100SE and VCI-400EG comes in handy (Guess other controllers also have them).

this is how i typically set up my cues. mainly for timed recordings e.g a 80 min CD mix

Last edited by Jester; 09-30-2013 at 04:30 PM.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Mentor

Just prepped some tracks today.

image.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12