Cut points when mixing live?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Cut points when mixing live?

A Challenge I find in mixing is knowing the exact point to cut the live track and have the cued come in, and being able to do this bars and bar in advance. I usually try to start the next track 16 or 32 bars into the played one, and allow the structures to compliment one other. Otherwise, I'll just play whatever bar loop for the cued track, and drop the 1 of the cued onto the finale of a verse or build up of the track playing (hip hop type club - dancy mix context). But without the help of my software flag points, sometimes I miss the point where both should sync and everyone here knows what I'm talking about.

People always say "don't rely on the software, you should be able to do with by ear etc". Just wondering if there are some mixing techniques or helpers that I'm missing. Thanks!

Tech Guru

The only thing you can do is practice without the markers.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

yeah i think it's all just iteration. lose the crutch, do it over and over. thanks

i just do it by ear and knowing my tunes. i end up sounding better when i'm not thinking about it too hard.

practise, practise, practise and know your tunes. it will come naturally eventually
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

yeah you guys are right. ive been mixing for less than a year and i already feel soooo much more comfortable than before. thanks!

Tech Mentor

Try to keep count in your head while practicing and it'll start to just become 2nd nature, after a while, to follow the structure of the beats, bars and phrases.

don't stare at the screen and listen to your music

Tech Mentor

Yup, agree with everyone else, don't look at the screen just listen, know your tunes and count em in, it's 90% all repeated patterns.

Tech Mentor

I'm gonna go off the beaten path here so far, and could get flamed to hell for it, but here's my bit on it.

I will agree, know your tracks, especially your "secret weapons." This is true for a variety of reasons, not just for this particular topic. For a lot of people, routine practice will get you there no problem.

I have a Top-40 residency at a small nightclub around the area, and frequently end up pulling the newest stuff from my record pool a few days in advance of the gig. This means I don't usually have a lot of time to commit tracks to heart. What I typically do is prep each track something like this:

Cue point 1 at the best mix-in point.
    Cue point 2 at the first drop
    Cue point 3 at the breakdown after first drop
    Cue point 4 at the second drop

I then put in Cue point 8 at the natural mix-out point of the track. With tracks prepped this way, it's a matter of mixing Cue 1 of the new track on Cue 8 of the old track, giving you a seamless mix.

Hoping I won't incite a riot here with this laptop-centered blasphemy
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast