I am DJing a friend's party this weekend. Help me add some BASS.

Default I am DJing a friend's party this weekend. Help me add some BASS.

I agreed to DJ for my friend's birthday this Friday. I have been djing for about 3 years just for fun, and that's all good, but with my current set up I am lacking a nice bass sound. I currently use the NS7 hooked up to this PA System: http://i.imgur.com/nXWSVC0.jpg [1]

What is a nice way to add a sub to this system? I was looking at these, but I am unaware if it will sound okay. Possibility 1: http://www.amazon.com/Seismic-Audio-...s=PA+subwoofer[2]

Possibility 2: http://www.amazon.com/GemSound-SUB20...s=PA+subwoofer[3]

I understand these aren't the highest end subs, but I am on a budget and these are going to be used just for house parties. If I buy these will I need any other equipment? Any help is appreciated.

Tech Guru

Fucking hell man these kind of things are more than ample for a house, my sub is tiny and it nearly blows the pictures off the wall. I'll give you a clue of how they will sound.

WHOOMPH WHOOMPH RATTLE VRRRRRRRRRRRRR "Stop it man, me mum's fine china has been blasted off the welsh dresser!"
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Duuuude, one of those would fill a busy bar nicely, not a house party, youll have the cops there in minutes lol! 1/200W would be fine for a party, and if your only using it the once why not rent it? (though i couldnt see anyone hiring out that small a sub lol)
    DJM800 | 2xCDJ2000 | RMX1000 | Adidas HD25's
    2011 MBP | Traktor 2.6 | Kontrol S4 | Scratch Live | SL2
    Mac Pro | Ableton | Access Virus C | Maschine
    Facebook || Soundcloud || Twitter

Tech Guru

Actually scratch what we're saying, just do it, then in 8 years time when you and your mates are past your partying years and you're in a bar just having a quiet drink, you'll begin to reminisce about your child hood, and one guy will go

"Haha remember that time neddih decided to buy part of Glastonbury's speaker system for a house party and you couldn't hear anything over the house rattling to pieces? And all the girls kept sitting on it? Then the cops came and told us to turn it down? Oh man that was funny."
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post

WHOOMPH WHOOMPH RATTLE VRRRRRRRRRRRRR "Stop it man, me mum's fine china has been blasted off the welsh dresser!"
    i fucking love you
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

I'd go for the seismic.
    Sure, less bling, but the driver has a pretty serious magnet behind the membrane if the specs are correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

Tech Mentor

instead of buying a really cheap high powered sub, try something lower powered/smaller for the same price. You won't utilize all the volume of the big sub, and will just end up losing sound quality.

Tech Convert

Yea those subs seem to be really cheap for the power handing they say they take. Any way I never really have bought subs that cheap...

But if you buy those (since they are passive and not powered) you would need an amplifier to run them. An amp that puts out about 400 watts RMS at 8 OHMS per channel. Different story if you want to bridge them. At 15" don't think a crossover would be really needed but if you are ever gonna upgrade your mid and high end sound a crossover wouldn't really be a bad idea to separate which frequencies are coming out of which speakers. Trying to push too much high through the same speaker (especially an 18") you are trying to push a lot of bass through can degrade the quality.

Proportionately I would say those sub woofers are overpowering for the PA system you have, but I would also say it never hurts to have more bass than you need! Get a good pair of sub woofers and then upgrade your mids/highs.

Tech Mentor

+1 to this all being massive overkill. It'll sound amazing in there, but the boys in blue will hear it from the station.

To put things in perspective:

Last time I streamed a tag-team set with my buddy at his house, he hooked up two powered 12" mains for monitors, and then sent an output from the mixing board down to a QSC GX3 amp he had lying around. His PA subs were currently being rented out, so he went to his car and got his little Polk 8" car subwoofer. Running at a comfortable-yet-bumpin' volume with the monitors about 3 feet from our faces (not blasting at all), we could EASILY hear the windows rattling and bass booming when we stepped outside. Thank god he had cool neighbors!

One thing that I haven't seen brought up here yet:

EDIT: You will need a power amp to drive either of those subwoofers. You could in theory run them in parallel on one side of the mains, however that's on the condition that your Harbinger unit will be able to handle the impedance. Check your manual. Either way, I don't really recommend it, as it really isn't the best way to run a system.

I had a similar PA for awhile (Phonic PowerPod 410 package), and this is what I used:

http://www.amazon.com/Gemini-DJ-GVX-...i+12+subwoofer

Offered quite enough for what I needed, and it had hi-pass outputs. I'd run two XLRs from the mixer down into the subwoofer main inputs, then run two more XLRs from the hi-pass outputs into two channels on the Phonic. Not the prettiest setup, but it was super-portable and more than enough for house parties.

Just a few ideas/suggestions to think about!
    Last edited by DJ Sunshine; 10-01-2013 at 11:55 PM.
    Traktor Kontrol Z2 | 2x Stanton ST-150 Turntables | Traktor Kontrol F1 | MacBook

www.mixcloud.com/sunshineraleigh