Building a studio room?
    Tech Mentor

Default Building a studio room?

Hi all, I'm moving house and I want to create a room for myself specifically dedicated to producing.

Unfortunately, I don't have any experience at all and I need some advice for choosing an adequate room. I have a choice between a large, kinda rectangular room or a much much smaller rectangular room. There is also a room that looks like a cube but I heard that is the worst case scenario

so my question is, bigger = better?

I already have good montiors but I really want to get the most out of them, help is appreciated

Tech Guru

If you are recording vocals, then smaller & well padded with acoustical foam is better (e.g. http://www.whisperroom.com/).

If all the instruments are midi...then what ever size/shape room will hold them all is better. I like a big "L" or "U" shaped set of tables to keep everything at hand.

Ideally the room will be "dead" with little to no reverberation of sound. Acoustical treatment will be needed. http://realtraps.com/

Pick a room that faces away from any major roads, is away from the HVAC and laundry room.
    Last edited by soundinmotiondj; 10-01-2013 at 05:36 PM.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

watch a few episodes of this , you will get some good pointers

CDJ 2000s + DJM 2000

Check out my Mixes : Soundcloud

Tech Mentor

Thanks a lot guys for the quick responses!!!
    I'm not really recording vocals, or recording anything really. It's just midi, I just want a good response from my Monitors.

so the large room it is

Also holy crap! The large room at my new place sort of has the same dimensions as that first studio rescue vid, I was thinking about setting it up kinda like that! But as I said, it's a bit bigger than that and I'm going to put a bed into it, some furniture and stuff. Probably a rug inder my seat too like in that vid lol. But yeah would the room treatment placement be be kinda similiar to that in the vid? cuz my setup is gonna be in the middle of a wall like in the vid, but the distance between the setup and the walls are a bit wider

I would recommend checking out gearslutz.