Essential Reading For Digital Producers?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Essential Reading For Digital Producers?

Hey guys , post your Essential Reading (or viewing if you have good videos) for more advanced aspects of digital producing (no beginner guides please).
    Recommend your favourite Blogs, Forums/Threads, Manuals/Tutorials, E-Books. I'm most interested on brushing up on proper mixing techniques with the use of a variety of signal processing plug-ins. The only reading I have on the subject is quite dated so newer info that features newer techniques like Parallel Compression or older techniques using newer software etc. are things I'm interested in.
    thanks!
    Last edited by wrong chris; 09-27-2009 at 08:13 PM.

http://www.amazon.com/Remixers-Bible...4115622&sr=8-1

I picked this book up at the local book store and have found it to have a wealth of techniques for use in DAW or Outboard gear.

http://www.warbeats.com great for FL Studio

http://www.youtube.com/user/SFLogicNinja#grid/all/ for Apple Logic
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

not really informational as it is entertaining..but Mixerman is a pretty awesome book. funny guy who is an audio engineer writes about his experiences recording people. apparently it was all posted on a blog then put into book form. he goes semi-in depth into techniques used in studios and methods of recording/editing. you may be disappointed by this post but i think you may enjoy it if you're into audio :P
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

I think in a book like that; the hidden value is not the top secret techniques some may look for when it comes to working our gear/software but rather the quirks of working with the "Human" element through the eyes of someone who has been there.

Among the entertaining aspect!

I will for sure look for it.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

I been picking up more copies of computer music mag recently (i should really buy a subscription), i find thats a pretty good read - the vid's with audio artists are also quite interesting to watch and i have learned lots of interesting techniques along the way.

I've only just started dipping my toes in the water with production but my recommendations are:

1) Tom Cosm @ http://www.cosm.co.nz/ - It's all Abelton Live based but for the tiny price of $10 per month (you only have to be a member for a month to download all the vids) there is a brilliant series of videos where you basically look over his shoulder while he produces a full track. There is a lot of detail in the videos and I think they are easily worth ten times the money they cost.

2) The Computer Music "Producer Masterclass" videos - Even in genres that I'm not interested in production, there are some great tips and you can find most of them on YouTube/Google Video
    MacBook, Senn. HD25 II, Traktor Pro, Xone:2D + X-Session Pro
    New Ableton Live 8

jonparker.co.uk | soundcloud.com/jonparker | @jonparkeruk

Tech Guru

yeah im a fan of those Masterclass videos. i posted the Rusko one in another thread. pretty helpful for teaching an efficient workflow!

Quote Originally Posted by duerr View Post
    yeah im a fan of those Masterclass videos. i posted the Rusko one in another thread. pretty helpful for teaching an efficient workflow!
    I wanna grab a subscript to this as well.
    I have been hitting up what there is on the Masterclass and FutureMusic vids on youtube.

You certainly need to pay attention but there is a wealth of info there.

My favorite is Rusko's tip on the GF "give her 20 quib so can go to the salon and get her nails done. The will buy you a good two hours of tune making time!"

http://www.amazon.com/Dance-Music-Ma...4366598&sr=1-2

Dance Music Manual, by Rick Snoman

You could probably find all of the information in other places, but its good reading and a helpful reference.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

This is awesome. I found out about it from a post on here a while back...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast