Should I buckle down and learn ableton?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Should I buckle down and learn ableton?

So a while ago, I tried to get into ableton, but there was something that just wasn't intuitive about it to me. For whatever reason, it didn't translate that easy to me, and I started looking into Maschine. I seemed to be able to pick up on Maschine a little easier, and with a background of working on an MPC, it made it the easy choice. I've been using it for a couple of years now.
    Not too long ago, I was talking to a friend about doing some colab work. He seemed to treat the fact that I worked inside of a maschine as majorly detrimental. Obviously working in different software is an/the issue, but he seemed to take issue with using it as a DAW. According to him, "we need to get you on ableton".
    My question is what areas am I being majorly hurt on if I'm not using ableton/logic/etc.?

Why don't you check out the Maschine 2.0 update before deciding? A lot of things, like a mixer, side-chain compression, etc are finally here.

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    My question is what areas am I being majorly hurt on if I'm not using ableton/logic/etc.?

The first thing I can think of is the lack of an all-audio arrangement (especially with visible waveforms) - you would find this in Ableton, Pro Tools, Logic, and many others. For example, if you're working on hip-hop, and need to do work with the performance of an MC over your beat, this is a pain in Maschine.

Ableton is definitely the best plan for remixing. Even just warping, versus other options for audio/timescale pitch modification is worth the price of entry. Max for Live is definitely the best Max integration out there. Ableton's session view is also an important part of the creative process for a lot of people.

I would say YES and the sooner the better. It takes a fair bit of time to get fluent in it. Dont put it off and dont waste your time with half measures. I blew a few years on FL studio because it was easier to use, but you will hit a wall at some point and will have to scratch all that time to learn a better daw like Ableton or Logic.

Tech Guru

i think the main draw about ableton is it makes collaboration more easy? there's also a wealth of learning materials created for it.

Maschine isn't a full Daw like ableton. Just get ableton, learn the little intricacys and run maschine inside it. You wont be dissapointed once you understand abletons sends and returns.

Tech Wizard

So a while ago, I tried to get into ableton, but there was something that just wasn't intuitive about it to me. For whatever reason, it didn't translate that easy to me, and I started looking into Maschine. I seemed to be able to pick up on Maschine a little easier, and with a background of working on an MPC, it made it the easy choice. I've been using it for a couple of years now.
    Not too long ago, I was talking to a friend about doing some colab work. He seemed to treat the fact that I worked inside of a maschine as majorly detrimental. Obviously working in different software is an/the issue, but he seemed to take issue with using it as a DAW. According to him, "we need to get you on ableton".
    Was kind of in the same boat as you but I started with Maschine then my friend told me that I was msising out by not using Ableton. I got it about 4 months ago and just stopped cause I didnt it either and thought Maschine was alot easier to get into. Started using the Ableton template in maschine in Ableton and it has changed my whole perspective. I was using the mouse before but I think I just needed to use Ableton with a controller to get a beter feel for it. You can also run Maschine as a plugin in Ableton so you have the best of both worlds.

Now I cant stop watching tutorials on Ableton lol

Use what works best for you, there's no right answer here.

Default ableton

As a new user of ableton it's is a very powerful program I always ran pro tools I am very impressed with ableton including the bridge feature. Just mess with it day after day and you will get the hint of it.

Tech Guru

I'm not sure if alot of people know this but Ableton offers a student/education discount for the standard and suite version. Ableton standard is $269 with an education discount. I bought it and haven't looked back since.

So a while ago, I tried to get into ableton, but there was something that just wasn't intuitive about it to me.
    This is exactly what I thought when I switched from Ableton to FL Studio from when I switched to FL Studio back to Ableton again about 2 weeks ago. I just can't get the hang of it. But yes do a bit of hard work and you'll have it in no time. But I'm still a beginner so this is my mindset too.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast