Question about mixing in this video
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Default Question about mixing in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PgQJWLnKzU

So as you guys can see this is a video of A-Trak. My question comes from the part at 3:00 where A-Trak mixes from The Message, into genius of love. The mix confuses me. He mixes out on the 7th beat instead of the 8th which would lead into the 1st beat on genius of love. The timing isn't traditional and it works so well. Could someone explain this to me like i'm a 2 year old.
    Last edited by DvlsAdvct; 09-28-2009 at 09:25 PM.

Well.....i have not watched the vid yet!...BUT!

If your tracks are synced (manual or auto) and you do your transition on the 7th beat instead of the eighth.....you will just end up hearing the bass from the new track a beat early!

Sometimes, it works!

I have done this kinda of mix before.....it is not so much a power mix....but it can definately work well!
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Looks to me like he was doing a lot of quick cuts and some cue jumping etc. It was just after he took a swig of his beer tho might have missed his timing. Nice skills
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

He just brought it in on the 4 instead of the 1, most likely because the second song has a recognizable hook that has to be played from the 4 to be recognized.

Also, am I missing something in this video? I just read a bunch of stuff about how this guy broke a ton of records in terms of winning DJing competitions or something, but this mix is pretty terrible. He seems to just pseudo-beatmatch two records, then do a quick cut from one to the next, and sometimes does some cool scratching stuff, which is impressive from a technical standpoint. The "mix" from "burning down the house" to Jay-Z is really abrupt an completely tasteless.

So... sorry if I sound like a hateful bastard, but I just want to know if I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpinFrog View Post
    He just brought it in on the 4 instead of the 1, most likely because the second song has a recognizable hook that has to be played from the 4 to be recognized.

Also, am I missing something in this video? I just read a bunch of stuff about how this guy broke a ton of records in terms of winning DJing competitions or something, but this mix is pretty terrible. He seems to just pseudo-beatmatch two records, then do a quick cut from one to the next, and sometimes does some cool scratching stuff, which is impressive from a technical standpoint. The "mix" from "burning down the house" to Jay-Z is really abrupt an completely tasteless.

So... sorry if I sound like a hateful bastard, but I just want to know if I'm missing something.
    It's just a different style than just straight up mixing. It's like comparing classical acoustic guitar to electric shredding.
    3x sl-1200s, Rane Empath, KP3, Ineko, Serato SL1, TS-Pro, RP10s sub, Event TR8 monitors, Xiosynth, Nano Pad & Kontrol, VCI-100 1.3 djtt, 3x M44g, DT-770, Rp-DJ1200, 13" MBP 4GB 2.26 128GB Corsair P128 Solid State Drive.

didn't have a chance to watch it, but this is theory of how it could work:

instead of transitioning from 4->1, you can also do 3->4, 2->3, 1->2, does that make sense? just drop the incoming track relative to wherever you are on the starting track.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

embedded the video cause i can

BOOYAH!
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

All he did was used the string as a grace note into the next bar... it was kind of abrupt and meh.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

not my cup of tea.
    Numark NS7 | Asus U81A - C2D 2.1ghz 4gb 320gb | Serato Itch | Traktor Pro | Homework Help

Tech Guru

girl in the green tank > a-trak's mixing imo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast