In much need of getting a DJ set/gig!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In much need of getting a DJ set/gig!

Please help a brother out.

DJ Name: Daily Crisis
    Nationality: British
    Contact details: Facebook (Daily Crisis) Email (ibudders@gmail.com)

Looking for a DJ Set/Gig in Brighton (East Sussex) area. Thanks Tech Toolers!

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Tech Mentor

At that age, you're going to have to stick to house parties and loft parties. That's not a bad thing though. It's a great way to learn how to read a crowd and deal with all types of set ups. I started about the same age and used to just bring vinyl everywhere I went on the weekends. That was the 90s though.

Have patience. Keep practicing and keep getting better. If you're serious, start taking music theory classes, learn to play an instrument and learn to produce your own beats. Nowadays, that's way more important than dj'ing IMO.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

I totally agree that 16 is too young to be worried about getting gigs but ... by law he can DJ in UK pubs and clubs as long as he is accompanied by someone over the age of 18. Obviously he cannot drink alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by b1sh0p View Post
    At that age, you're going to have to stick to house parties and loft parties. That's not a bad thing though. It's a great way to learn how to read a crowd and deal with all types of set ups. I started about the same age and used to just bring vinyl everywhere I went on the weekends. That was the 90s though.

Have patience. Keep practicing and keep getting better. If you're serious, start taking music theory classes, learn to play an instrument and learn to produce your own beats. Nowadays, that's way more important than dj'ing IMO.
    I've been DJing for nearly 3 years now and played at some people's birthdays and house parties etc. But I think now it's time to step up... I know this promoter who knows people and he was really interested in me. He's on his honeymoon at the moment but as soon as he gets back I'm giving him my house mix! So wish me luck

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Crisis View Post
    I've been DJing for nearly 3 years now and played at some people's birthdays and house parties etc. But I think now it's time to step up... I know this promoter who knows people and he was really interested in me. He's on his honeymoon at the moment but as soon as he gets back I'm giving him my house mix! So wish me luck
    That's great. You definitely have a jump start on the competition.

Tech Mentor

Good luck, but you're in a really saturated market - in Brighton every bugger and his dog is a "DJ".

Hope it pans out for you.

The only thing I could find to listen to what a song you are attempting to create. Id reccomend having a mix in the style you wanna be playing up so at least someone can understand the style your trying to promote. Honestly tho I feel you are too young for a legit gig at a bar. House parties will be your zone for the next couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by AllDay View Post
    The only thing I could find to listen to what a song you are attempting to create. Id reccomend having a mix in the style you wanna be playing up so at least someone can understand the style your trying to promote. Honestly tho I feel you are too young for a legit gig at a bar. House parties will be your zone for the next couple years.
    Okay man, if you wanna check out some of my more recent mixes you can check 'em out here: www.mixcloud.com/DailyCrisis

Currently working on a house mix

This suggestion isn't really specific to DJing, but asking for work in general.

Don't just put your name and contact details up, and then say "I want a gig". Since you don't provide much information, you make us (or anyone who might see your post) do all the work. Most people won't bother asking you more questions, or following your links without you giving clear details and links to actual mixes (that represent what you plan on playing).

Since you don't mention your experience, music style, goals, and reasons you think you are a suitable candidate for a gig, why would someone choose to take a chance on you? It feels like you are just asking a bunch of relative strangers for a hook up without giving a justification for why you deserve one.

So, my humble advice (other than to get more experience playing music first) is to work on how you promote/market yourself if you are actually trying to get real gigs and you truly think you are ready. At 16, people are already going to assume that you aren't mature enough. Right or wrong, you don't want to give people any reason to write you off.

Besides, if you can't sing your own praises and hype yourself up on the internet, no one else will.

Quote Originally Posted by Daily Crisis View Post
    Okay man, if you wanna check out some of my more recent mixes you can check 'em out here: www.mixcloud.com/DailyCrisis

Currently working on a house mix
    Nice dude! If you can get your name out as the local party dj people will start paying for you to play at there parties. Ive made more money through house parties then raves/clubs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast