How to find similar artists?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schalenberg

Default How to find similar artists?

Sometimes I find an artist I really like, but have trouble finding a similar sound /rtist. Is there a site or method I can use that links similar artists for the virtual crate digger?

YouTube is great. Beatport charts or other more DJ oriented charts may be good. For example, via Beatport on the House genre top 100 section, I found some of my favorite House artists for example, Dusky, Gorgon City, MK, Prok & Fitch and My Digital Enemy etc. Spotify may have a recommendation function, however I'm not sure as I'm not a Spotify user. Also buying Mixmag should be compulsory for most DJ's anyway, but that can help you find similar artists as they have loads of tracks on you can research and listen to every month. It's only a fiver a month (may seem like a lot for a magazine), and trust me it's worth it. There are other mags such as DJMag but I'm not sure about them, I've only ever read Mixmag though.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Any of the dance music sites on the internet will do eg. beatport, trackitdown, juno, traxxsource. Just find the track that you like, check out their record label for that release, usually labels try to push a sound so from this you should find other similar producers. After you have gone down that rabbit hole look for who the artists are doing remixes with and for, check their label's remixes etc.. then you will have a good handle on your sound and what artists make it...

Another coupe of good resources are soundcloud and mixcloud, but they are less direct IMO, more for killing time on the net than the aforementioned sites.

EDIT-----

^^ Try to avoid the beatport charts unless you only like commercial dance, then god help you
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Schalenberg

Thanks for the tips, guys. I play mostly deep house, but I really like Tiger & Woods and that style. Finding similar stuff to them has been tough.

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    Any of the dance music sites on the internet will do eg. beatport, trackitdown, juno, traxxsource. Just find the track that you like, check out their record label for that release, usually labels try to push a sound so from this you should find other similar producers. After you have gone down that rabbit hole look for who the artists are doing remixes with and for, check their label's remixes etc.. then you will have a good handle on your sound and what artists make it...

Another coupe of good resources are soundcloud and mixcloud, but they are less direct IMO, more for killing time on the net than the aforementioned sites.

EDIT-----

^^ Try to avoid the beatport charts unless you only like commercial dance, then god help you
    +1
    Yes. Also sometimes sites such as Beatport artists are featured with playlists with songs that those artists also like which may be similar to that artist. For example, Sonny Fodera's Featured Chart.

Also look at this thread.

I just label surf when I find something from a specific artist that doesn't sound like everything else he releases. From there you get names, more labels, etc. Just gotta sit down and take the time to browse.

It sounds like the OP knows where to buy music. He's just searching for a site that suggests similar artists/styles in a usable way. I've noticed that on Juno when you "like" an artist (clicking the little eye icon) a window pops up with a list of 4 artists that are stylistically linked. Pretty useful.

EDIT: this was a response to the link from Daily Crisis.

Tech Mentor

I listen to a lot of mixes and pay attention to track lists. It's easy for me though. Drum and bass is a small scene.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast