Understanding Traktor Key Knob

Default Understanding Traktor Key Knob

Im trying to figure out the different settings for the key knob and how they relate to the traktor key id system. What is the difference in the fine, min, course, default, and switch?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Those are just different resolutions for button mappings.

Stewe answered part 2 of your question, I'll take a stab at part 1.

Traktor's key knob when centered at 50% (of course) is the key your song is in (with Keylock on). Each full increment of the knob up or down is a musical half step. Example: your song is in the key of C (1d), moving the knob to +1 will change the key to C# (8d), +2 would make the key D (3d), +3=D#(10d) etc.

The Camelot wheel is the circle of fifths which on the key knob is a change of +7 increments or -5 increments from your origional key (going clockwise around the wheel). So if your song is in the key of C (1d), +7 or -5 makes it the key of G (2d)

As you can tell, using the Camelot wheel with out musical theory knowledge, and the key knob can be confusing. The Camelot wheel was designed to make harmonic mixing easy with out knowing music theory. When you throw in the key knob, you need to know more than just the Camelot wheel. If you learn the chromatic scale, and have the wheel with the actual keys and number/letter where you can see it, it is just a matter of knowing the original key (1d=C), knowing what key you have changed to with the key knob (+1=C#=8d), then using the wheel to find compatable keys.

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogo View Post
    Stewe answered part 2 of your question, I'll take a stab at part 1.

Traktor's key knob when centered at 50% (of course) is the key your song is in (with Keylock on). Each full increment of the knob up or down is a musical half step. Example: your song is in the key of C (1d), moving the knob to +1 will change the key to C# (8d), +2 would make the key D (3d), +3=D#(10d) etc.

are these new settings part of a recent update? i've wanting to set the key knob to semitone increments but can't work out how. what am I missing? thanks in advance for the info ... glad to know it's possible anyway.

Then you will want to watch my old video here . Well you don't have to watch, the mapping values for semitones are in the video description.

Thanks for that. Not really what I was looking for though. I never have call to repitch tracks by by anything other than semitones these days. i thought they may have implemented a feature request i submit which was to give the key knob quantized semitone values. Thanks for the work around anyway.