Virtual DJ
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual DJ

Default Virtual DJ

Hi guys and girls,

Quick question for you; I sometimes DJ for a local radio station but unfortunately there's no space in their studio for my CDJs. To get around this I either borrow a friends controller + laptop or burn individual tracks to CD and just treat it like a normal show rather than mixing.

I was wondering if I could use Virtual DJ Home, which is free, to mix within the software, without a controller and simply run the audio from my laptop to the radio station's input.
    Equipment: 2x CDJ 2000s // Kontrol Z2 // 2x KRK Rokit 5s // Maschine MkII // Scarlett 2i2

Soundcloud Twitter Facebook

I don't see why not. Just learn the keyboard mapping and you should be good to go!!

(There probably is something in the EULA about it not being used for commercial purposes though.....)
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Quote Originally Posted by robdquick View Post
    I don't see why not. Just learn the keyboard mapping and you should be good to go!!

(There probably is something in the EULA about it not being used for commercial purposes though.....)
    It states you can't use it if you're being paid for it but, alas, I'm not, so shouldn't be contravening their Ts & Cs.

I'll give it a go and see how I get on with it, thanks.
    Equipment: 2x CDJ 2000s // Kontrol Z2 // 2x KRK Rokit 5s // Maschine MkII // Scarlett 2i2

It's not like they will lock the software, although they do track users both cracked and legit who don't have a good firewall... I think the idea is that if you like something and use it a lot you should support the company who creates it and makes your income possible.. In the grand scheme of things $300 for software that can get anyone $500 a night is nothing.. I'm pretty sure that from the teaser vids explination a year ago VDJ8 streaming will be locked down to an atomix owned server so if you have a cracked version you won't be able to stream online. But I think that's fair.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Guru

If you're going to buy software, Traktor is only €79 and also works nicely with CDJ 2000s.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    If you're going to buy software, Traktor is only €79 and also works nicely with CDJ 2000s.
    I did have an S4 but moved onto the 2000s last year. I only require it every now and then so didn't want to have to purchase anything really. Plus, like I said, the CDJs won't fit in the studio

I learned on their home edition years ago... You can mix with it. Won't be as seamless as external mixing but you'll be fine once you figure it out.

you might want to look into mixxx aswell it can use shoutcast for broadcasting and has about 30 controllers mapped to it. If your friends controller isn't mapped it has a pretty cool javascript based mapping engine that isn't too difficult to understand if you know a little about javascript basics.
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

Tech Mentor

Do you have an iPad?

Just to give an update on this.

Turns out with the free home edition you can only use a controller or USB soundcard for a maximum of 10 minutes.

b1sh0p, I don't have an ipad, I don't own a tablet as it goes...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast