Mixing Experimental Electronic.

Default Mixing Experimental Electronic.

Anyone on here mix this type of music? like Flying Lotus, XXYYXX, Shlohmo, Ta-Ku etc.

Been looking on youtube for some sort of tutorials as to how to mix these types of artists. Tried experimenting with the usual types of mixing for regular EDM and such but wasn't too effective or clean. Tips?

Hi - I make and mix this sort of music.

There is a language to this kind of music - it's just very different than house music.

This kind of effect can serve as a useful transition:

I almost always mix in key and get pretty creative - simple transitions can work, but crossfades are not always the best way to go about it.

Watch your phrasing, this is a good chunk of what I collect and it's really not that different.

Flying lotus is the exception but xxyyxx, shlomo... They may have some odd number intro like a 3 bar intro but then it goes in to standard 8 bar chorus etc. Hardcuts, long mixes, whatever they can all work as long you match the right phrase

Thanks guys, Really keen to get more of this type of music, any sites you guys use in particular to dig and that? recommended artists? podcasts etc.

Tech Wizard
    2011 Macbook pro, apc 40, x1, Maschine mikro, Ableton Suite, Traktor Pro

I would recommend everyone who is part of Low End Theory, as well as their podcast as a starting point. There's also Astro Nautico, The Melt, and others.

Boomkat.com

Tech Mentor

Here's an up and coming radio show/label that I follow.

http://soulection.com/radio/

They cover a pretty broad spectrum of this type of music from Sango to Mr. Carmack and give away tons of free music through Soundcloud.

Tech Mentor

soulection <3

you should listen to some of the rinse FM shows - luckyme does a cool one, plastician's show is awesome. soundcloud is where its happening, a lot of the artists in this genre give out remixes and tracks for free, and a lot of em have cheap albums on bandcamp.

in terms of mixing, i think phrasing is key. i feel like you can tell more of a story and do some 'odd' things that sound really great in this genre. the other really important thing i find sells it is putting some turntable tricks in the mix. hudmo does this a lot. cashmere cat also does cool vinyl tricks. but even stuff like backspins, stop n drops, ambient vinyl sounds w lush reverb.