For the love of God: Getting iPad & Mac to make Midi love
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default For the love of God: Getting iPad & Mac to make Midi love

...without creating an Adhoc network. Surely this is possible, no? I saw one guy on the interwebs do it. Yes, I know adhoc is better for latency. More on that in a sec.

What I want to do: Have a Midi Track in Ableton live send midi to my iPad (Animoog).
    What it's not doing: The above. Specifically, when I go to the Midi Network Setup and add a new session, my Ipad will not show up. Other devices do... computers that are still on for some reason and shouldn't be, actually.

Anywho, all of my music-related shit (samples, project files) are on a network drive. Adhoc kills the interwebs. Also need to to access cool places like this for knowledge while messing w/ production apps. So adhoc is not going to work for me.

I could have sworn I hooked this up on another machine w/ my iPad. It's just not working out for me now though.

Just updated my iPad to iOS 7. OSX version is 10.8.5

I just tested this out and my iPad didn't show up in the Directory until I had Animoog open. I assume this means you need to have any app that supports CoreMIDI to be open first in order for it to appear in the Network Session.

Both my MacBook Pro and iPad are on the same local network, not set up ad-hoc over here. For "who can connect to me", I tried both Anyone and "only computers in my directory" and the iPad came up both times.

Hopefully this info helps.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

It does, thanks bro.
    However, I'm now reading that iOS 7 might have fucked Animoog in the ass. What version are you on?

I've done all kinds of shit with starting and stopping Animoog, and even doing the old hack of starting iPad Midi (or whatever it is) to get the Mac to detect the iPad.

I did order the Camera Connection Kit which is probably better for latency anyway, so might not have to deal with it after that.

My iPad is on 7.0.2 and the Mac is 10.8.5 w/ supplemental update. One thing you could do is make a new configuration in AMS then try the iPad again. This will be equivalent to running AMS at default settings.

Yeah, no love. Going to update to 7.0.2 and see if that does anything. Or smash it against he wall.

EDIT: Update to 7.0.2 did nada. Will mess around on my other machines.
    Last edited by kiss-o-matic; 10-15-2013 at 07:59 AM.

Tech Guru

Do you know about iConnectivity? http://www.iconnectivity.com/
    Might be what you're looking for.

More things:
    1) Make sure Animoog is fully updated (likely already is)
    2) Try deleting Animoog and then reinstalling it

Did some more research... seems to be the Mac, not the iOS device(s). Went and ran AMS on my 2007 MBP. It is tattered and on it's last leg, but my iPad and iPhone both showed up pretty much immediately on that thing. Audio Midi Setup version on that is 3.0.3 and this one is 3.0.5. I tried running the old version on the newer machine, to no avail.

It's gotta be a "security" setting somewhere. Works for AdHoc, not for Wifi. So freakin' annoying.
    Last edited by kiss-o-matic; 10-15-2013 at 07:32 PM.

I wonder if there's some type of conflict between the old machine and the new one. I wouldn't think there is though, considering until I hit "connect", there's just a list of what's available.

Okay, finally got it. I used the Bonjour Browser to realize that it was Bonjour that was the issue. I messed around w/ the computer's name actually (which gives it a much more suitable bonjour name). Mine actually had a Japanese character in it. Not totally sure, but I think that's what was effing it up.

Bad news is the latency is noticeable on sounds with a very short attack. Most of what I'm doing is droney, ambient stuff... for now, anyway. The camera kit arrived so I might see if that doesn't give me better performance, and if it's worth it.

Thanks for the help!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast