USB Signal Noise
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default USB Signal Noise

Hi Guys,

Having some trouble with my pair of Xone:K2s.
    Ever since I got them, there's been a low volume, high frequency noise emitted when connected via USB.
    Here's my setup.

Macbook Pro 13"
    2 x Xone:K2
    1 x XoneB2.

1 Xone:K2 connected through a hub.
    1 Xone:K2 connected directly to USB port.

Anyway, I haven't really cared up until now as it's hard to hear while playing, but it becomes evident during silent/low volume periods.

Note: The signal noise does change depending on how many LEDs are lit up on the device, but it is still there when there are none lit up.

I've tried different USB cables, ones with RFI chokes, different ports, direct connection etc.
    As soon as the USB cable touches the socket, it starts to whine.

Is anyone else having this issue/know of anything I could do do eliminate it?

Cheers

Try using the K2s with the ethernet lines on the DB2.

Powered hub?

I would remove the earth\ground linkage from the power to your MacBook or Hub.. Sounds like a ground loop noise.

http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...und+loop%29%3F
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

I would remove the earth\ground linkage from the power to your MacBook or Hub
    Would you? I've read about this (and it will definitely work), but it sounds dangerous...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Student

Quote Originally Posted by Shishdisma View Post
    Try using the K2s with the ethernet lines on the DB2.
    Thanks, I'll give this a shot. Though it's probably not the ideal situation as I'd like to be able to plug my K2s in to any mixer and not have to rely on a XLink connection from a DB2/4.

I have no issues.

When I got my MacBook, it had the 2 pin plug, but I removed it and put on a 3 pin (like we use in South Africa) and did not connect the Yellow\Green wire...the ground.

Have not had an issue.

Its been 4 years?

APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sarasin View Post
    Powered hub?

I would remove the earth\ground linkage from the power to your MacBook or Hub.. Sounds like a ground loop noise.

http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...und+loop%29%3F
    I'll quote from the above link:

"If you find the device that introduces the ground loop, a ground lift of the audio connection may solve the issue. Never lift the ground of the power connection!"

If you lift disconnect the mains earth cable you're asking for trouble.

Ground lift ALWAYS refers to the audio signal NOT mains supply!

I suspect you have an issue with the power supply for the powered USB hub and probs need to replace it but to be honest why are you bothering?
    You've got a DB2 why not use the X-Link?

You only need one USB back to your laptop from the DB2 and it then becomes your soundcard as well as your mixer.
    Just daisy chain the K2's off the X-Link socket using RJ45 cables

As an aside this will also improve your sound quality as you are only passing through one digital to analogue conversion as your DB2 outputs to the PA

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Would you? I've read about this (and it will definitely work), but it sounds dangerous...
    The small plug adapter for Macbooks does not have a ground connection, whereas the longer cable extension does. Any laptop that uses a simple figure-of-8 adapter is ungrounded.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

It's actually recommended by NI that you use the longer cable extension if you're having sound issues.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Tech Guru

Switching to an ungrounded laptop power supply is a common fix for ground issues. I can't think of any issue that would be solved by switching to a grounded cable.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast