Akai APC 20 / Xponent / Akai LPD8 LPD25 - Midi Controller for Traktor FX

Default Akai APC 20 / Xponent / Akai LPD8 LPD25 - Midi Controller for Traktor FX

Hey guys,

I've been thinking about adding another Midi Controller to my existing setup just to control the effects in Traktor.

I'm using a Mixtrack Pro right now and I'm finding that I dont have enough dedicated buttons to map to special effects ala Echo Freeze and Sweep/Build Up combos.

I've scouted around and I managed to find these Midi Controllers for pretty cheap and I'm not sure which one to go with for the sole purpose of mapping effects.

1. Akai APC 20 - $70

Pros: Tons Buttons and Faders
    Cons: Lack of knobs, LED Mapping seems intimidating, Large Footprint, Needs AC Power

2. M-Audio Xponent - $70

I know this is a entire controller on its own, but I figured it's value for money in terms of the mapping possibilities.

Pros: Lots of knobs and faders and even jog wheels to map FX to, could function as a backup controller
    Cons: Unconventional to use another controller with a soundcard just for FX? Large Footprint

3. Akai LPD8 + LPD25 - $100

Pros: Smallest Footprint, seems to be the best suited as a small "FX Controller"
    Cons: Not Value for money? Fewer buttons to play with.

---

As it is right now, I'm leaning towards getting the APC 20. It's the cheapest option and seems to have the most triggers I could assign to dedicated FX. I'm thinking about downloading the mapping from Divine Justice and editing it from there..

https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/243

What do you guys think?

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

How CMD PL-1 with jog FX mapping sounds? Small, cheap and ton of control pre-mapped.

I personally use two Midi Fighter Pros with a custom made mapping that might even make Stewe a little proud.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorStrangeman View Post
    I personally use two Midi Fighter Pros with a custom made mapping that might even make Stewe a little proud.
    Would be cool to see that thing in action!

I'm playing a show that's being taped next friday, I'll make sure to post some footage!

itsnotthatgreatohgodihopehelikesit
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU