In-Ear Monitors; Early Stage of Tinnitus
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default In-Ear Monitors; Early Stage of Tinnitus

So I'm looking for methods of reducing hearing damage while DJ'ing.

I am DJ'ing three nights a week in a club with a less than optimally set up Soundsystem. It is extremely loud and it's in very close quarters. I realized when looking at the external mixer's multimeter the other day that it has been WAY LOUDER in there lately than it ever has been prior, and that's because I've been turning it up because I don't think it's loud enough.

I've had a few REALLY loud nights lately. I opened for the Bingo Players in a club that was also WAY TOO LOUD, and then went to my residency just afterwards. My ears were ringing all day the next day.

This is starting to concern me. I'm considering investing in a pair of in ear monitors with a limiter built in (to prevent any dangers they may hold).

I'm only 20, so it's particularly concerning. I just ordered a MultiMeter off Amazon and have read all of the DJTT articles on the topic. I THINK I'm starting to hear a high pitched shriek in the background, but it could just be me going crazy.

Do you guys know of any way of reducing any present dangers to hearing when DJ'ing? Do you have any stories about Tinnitus?
    Progressive/Electro/Tech/Deep House DJ/ Producer from Pittsburgh, PA.

Tech Guru

Never mix without headphones on. And use earplugs at all other times.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Look into a pair of Westone IEM. I have a pair of UM2's and they are the best pair of personal listening speakers I've ever used.

Scroll down to the bottom to view a comprehensive chart of all the IEM's that have been reviewed
    http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...10-17-13-p-786
    Last edited by DarioJ; 10-19-2013 at 09:20 PM.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Tech Guru

Custom molded ear plugs are your BFF. IEM's are good...but you will likely only wear them when you are mixing. Custom plugs can be worn the whole time you are in the club...and can be used under headphones.

http://www.etymotic.com/hp/erme.html
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Tech Wizard

This^^^ Save your ears!!! You don't want to get to the point where your ears short out at certain tones...

Tech Guru

Everything that's been said above, and then the big point that everyone seems to forget

TURN IT DOWN. The volume fader goes two ways for a reason.
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

If you're worried about tinnitus, take a month off. Your ears can repair a certain level of damage, as long as you catch it early on.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

I was having pretty much the same problem and was looking to protect my hearing because the over the ear headphones weren't working. I use the Shure SE215's myself. Great entry-level IEMS I would say, but there are other models. It lists up to 37 dB isolation. I used to have problems with hearing after my shows, but now it is not a problem anymore for me. I use the softflex sleeves instead of the foam.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Custom molded ear plugs are your BFF. IEM's are good...but you will likely only wear them when you are mixing. Custom plugs can be worn the whole time you are in the club...and can be used under headphones.

That seems to be the best choice for preventing damage, but for me, as a DJ, which one should I buy? ETY-Plugs? http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html

I didn't understand the difference of all the plugs listed on the site
    Last edited by Daniboy; 10-20-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post

I'll point to this suggestion. I did this for years -- in the club and under headphones.

It covers the cases where you don't have control over the monitor levels, or where some other person/fool is driving them to the max.

I found once the plugs drop the volume level I felt I had a greater overall clarity to the sound, and found it easier to mix. But at first when you put them in it feels a bit muffled; give your ears time to adapt. I used to pop them in the moment I entered the club, not just when on the decks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast