Soundcard Routing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Soundcard Routing

I was wondering if someone could help me figure this out...

I have an Audiofire2 Soundcard, Traktor and a DDM4000 mixer...

I prefer to use Traktor in internal mixing mode, and have all of the DDM4000 channels set to midi, but use channel 4, to control volume only.

My typical setup is to route from the output of the soundcard into the channel 4 input of the DDM4000....then go from the master output of the DDM4000 into the main amplifier.

The problem is, Im not crasy about the sound quality of the DDM4000's master output...

Is there a way to route the output of an Audiofire soundcard into the input of channel 4 (of the DDM), then route the master output (of the DDM) back through the souncard, which would then be routed to the amp.

I suppose I might need an Audiofire 4...which im totally cool with getting.

Somehow I feel like this might improve the overall sound quality as the A/D convertors of the Audiofire soundcards are far superior to those of the DDM4000 and I would like my soundcard to be the last thing in the chain before it goes to the amp.

I know I could just use the DDM for midi but then I lose the ability to use the onboard effects.

Or if anyone has another suggestion im all ears.

I think you would get even less sound quality that way because you would be putting another step in the chain- once you have lost sound quality you cant get it back again by routing it into a good soundcard then back out again.

The A/D converters of the Audiofire soundcards may be superior to that of the DDM4000 but by setting up as above, your signal will go through the A/D converter of the soundcard, then the A/D of the DDM4000, then the A/D of the soundcard again, further degrading the signal.

---

Bentosan beat me to it
    DJTT Nu Disco Mix Train Vol 1
    beats and balearic bobs in north-west london
    iTunes podcast
    soundcloud

best thing to do would be the ddm as a midi mixer without actually passing any audio though it to begin with

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

Agree with BentoSan,

It's pretty basic, midi map your mixer (completely)
    and used the soundcard outs: as master outs

+ go to your soundcard configuration and raise it to 24 bit.

Tech Mentor

Default Soundcard reading

thanks for the reply guys...

- obviously I can route through the Sonundcard and use the DDM for midi only, but that means I lose the FX functionallity of the DDM...As well as the ability to use this mixer in any DJ Booth senario.

My goal setup is to be able to bypass any house mixer I come across and plug my DDM directly into the house system via DDM's Balanced Outputs (I DJ alot and run into lots of weird DJ Booth setups).

I like the hybrid nature of the DDM because it also allows me to use a specific Channel to route a backup audio source (Ipod / whatever..) in case of a computer failure....yet still be an operating midi controller at the same time.

I do all my mixing internally within Traktor. My setup is - Soundcard Output into DDM Channel 1 Input then DDM XLR Output into House system/AMP...and the rest I control thru midi. So all the sound coming from my Soundcard is coming from 1 Stereo Output.

This all sounds great so far...Right?.....but wait....Behringer cant ever do anything right and the DDM has limitations while in Hybrid mode.

Oddly (on the DDM) If you set any single channel to be Audio only (non-midi) while the other remaining channels are set to Midi only, you lose the ability to map LED Feedback for all of the EQ Kill Buttons (they dont stay lit). But if you map ALL of the Channels to Midi only (no audio), the EQ Kill LEDs work as the are suppose to. Behringer support says its a know issue and they were able to recreate it on their end.

If the DDM is set to ALL Midi, you can still run an Audio Source through any Channel, but you can ONLY control the VOLUME (NOT THE EQ) of that source through the non midi assignable Gain knob at the top of the mixer.

So basically I have no EQ control within the Physical DDM mixer because I have to set the DDM to ALL MIDI in order to map the EQ Kill LEDs correctly. And im not thrilled about the sound quality it puts out....especailly since I have no control of its physical EQ (just volume control only).

Im thinking of buying a MINI EQ (not rack size) to put between my Soundcard and the DDM but im not really sure if there would be sound dis-advantages to doing that.

OR I could run a Balanced In/Out MINI EQ (not rack size) unit between my mixer and the house system/Amp. But im having a hard time finding one.

Can anyone shed some light here....Ive been at this for days now.
    Last edited by thictool; 10-02-2009 at 03:05 AM.

Default Re: Soundcard Routing

good luck trying to get an audio tech to let you bypass the mixer.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

also, are the mains on the ddm4000 really that weak? it's the mixer i've had my eye on, but even running the vmx200 the sound really is quite good (for my taste, i guess).
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Mentor

Audio techs dont mind as long as you setup is Balanced and you know what your doing.

I have my whole setup built into a DJ case so really it a matter of pulling the XLRs from their house mixer and connecting them to my rig...

DDM Souind quality isnt weak as far as volume goes...just overall alittle flat and boomy. Especially if yiou cant control the EQ.

But I found solutions though....I decided to get a

1.) ROLLS EQ210 10 Band Graphic EQ (size 6.4 x 3.7 x 1.13)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...specifications

2.) ATI Match-Maker MM100 System XLR to RCA (size 1.5 X 8.5 x 4.65)
    http://stores.channeladvisor.com/dal...ng%20Interface

So since the Rolls EQ doesnt have a Balanced output I can still put it as the last Audio peice in the chain before it goes to the House System via ATI Match-Maker MM100 System RCA to XLR convertor

My setup will now be something like this -
    AudioFire Soundcard Output into DDM Channel 1 Input (RCA) - DDM Main Output (RCA) into ROLLS EQ210 10 Band Graphic EQ Input (RCA) - ROLLS EQ210 10 Band Graphic EQ Output (RCA) into ATI Match-Maker MM100 RCA to XLR Convertor Input (RCA) and finally ATI Match-Maker MM100 RCA to XLR Convertor Output (XLR) into House System

Anaheim Hills, CA, Lake Havasu, Az, & Las Vegas, Nv

correct you'll loose on board FX from the DDM,
    I forgot that had FX, then just run your mixer outs to something like a Sonic Maximizer.

you can get them used for $50 - $100

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast