Haswell rMBP w/ Traktor
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Haswell rMBP w/ Traktor

Now that we have the new Haswell powered rMBPs, do anyone have any idea/info about how they fair w/ traktor?

I'm curious cause Haswell is all about efficiency and saving power, one of the ways they achieved this is by switching b/w power states. Now anyone trying to reduce audio dropouts and glitches would know that switching b/w power states/frequency can actually cause a DPC spike. Also the fact that this cpu has the Iris pro gpu inside it, I'm kinda worried before I put my money on this new machine.
    Last edited by tranceaddict; 10-26-2013 at 03:38 PM.

Curious about this as well.

Your question is valid regardless, but Haswell isn't the first line of CPUs to switch between power states and DPC is a term that applies to a feature of the Windows operating system, not OS X.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DJSigma View Post
    but Haswell isn't the first line of CPUs to switch between power states
    Agreed, but that seems to be one of the main focus here (to save power), though I think the internal graphics chip might cause more problem than the switching, I hope we can turn it off?

This guy here seemed to be experiencing crackles which were gone when he shifted to discrete graphics. I think if Intel would have made the graphics on board (on motherboard) instead of on chip (on the processor) it would have been better?
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSigma View Post
    DPC is a term that applies to a feature of the Windows operating system, not OS X.
    Okay then latency spikes maybe?
    Last edited by tranceaddict; 10-26-2013 at 11:49 PM. Reason: added one more sentence

Tech Guru

Almost all of the new Macbooks have no discrete graphics, so turning internal graphics off just isn't an option.

The link you provided is from a Windows user too so it doesn't exactly apply. "Latency spikes" have never really been an issue for Macs.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Almost all of the new Macbooks have no discrete graphics, so turning internal graphics off just isn't an option.

The 512/16 15" model comes with NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M. (http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/macbook-pro), apparently you can get one without the graphics at the same price. Since discrete graphics normally create problems like overheating I was intending to get one without it (like the 2011 MBPs faced severe overheating issues).

The link you provided is from a Windows user too so it doesn't exactly apply. "Latency spikes" have never really been an issue for Macs.
    Oh, pardon my ignorance, so that means MBP users never face any dropouts/audio glitches/crackles due to latency issues? That would be really good news then.

Tech Guru

The 15" model without discrete graphics is much cheaper.

If you push your latency lower than your system can handle you'll get glitches and crackles on a Mac too. But random spikes don't tend to happen and there's no extensive system optimisation necessary beyond the obvious things like WiFi/Bluetooth and hard drive sleep.

The main issue that could still occur is problematic drivers for new hardware configurations, and it can sometimes take a while for stable drivers to be released.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    The 15" model without discrete graphics is much cheaper.
    It is not, the rMBPs with or without having discrete graphics are priced the same. They have some stock configs where they bump up the ssd to 512 Gb/ram to 16 Gb and throw in the discrete graphics too, thats why it looks expensive.

Apart from few keyboard freezes (reported by users in apple's support forum) I haven't found anything so hope it should be fine

Tech Guru

Where are you seeing ones with and without discrete graphics at the same price? I don't see any in the online store.

Edit: figured it out. If you choose all the upgrade options to match, the prices match too since BTO costs more than stock configs.

Tech Wizard

If you customize the base 15" rMBP to match the CPU, RAM and SSD of the higher end one, the price difference becomes $0, but with no dGPU. http://store.apple.com/us/buy-mac/ma.../A&step=config, it is the same 2599 bucks as the 15 rMBP (2.3/512/16) w/ the discrete graphics.

Also 1 of my friends bought it from apple store in Denver and he confirmed that price for both are the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast