Time To Quit :( - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time To Quit :(

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by FilthyDave View Post
    You need to ask yourself if it's the music you love and you're happy with it being a hooby you do for yourself or if it's the massaged ego from performing you're missing
    90% the music - I love constructing a mix and making things for people to listen to however, i haven't done this since 2006. instead, i have concentrated on building up a massive collection with the thoughts of getting back into it

10% performing, never really been a fan other than making loud noise haha!

Good advise also, i must learn! How do you all manage to structure your time?

there is no shame in being a bedroom dj.

if you like it dont stop.

Im married and 27, I just started to dj for the fun of it. I do not play out. I just like to push buttons and scratch records for my self and my wife.

I find time to practice while the wife is asleep. which is by 10 pm so I have 2 hours to practice as I have a 8am-6pm work
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Im 21 and I personally love seeing older people djing. Almost every single dj I have seen with grey hair kills it(not that u have grey hair yet)! Continue to pursue your passion dude!

maybe spend less time on genres you wouldnt be playing out?

Time is the issue.

I have a GF and Baby at home and get home at 7PM. Dead tired by 10pm.

In that time, its feed the pets\baby and bath\play.

Weekends I mow the lawn and relax. I play on the odd occasion and just do it for myself these days.

Kinda feel like I have been there, done that now. Reached my little goals I had and have years of very cool memories and memento's.

Feels good to let go a bit.
    APC80:STR8-100's+Ortofon Concorde Scratch\Electro:ButterRugz:TSP2-NI Audio4DJ:Xone22+Innofader:MacBook Pro 15"
    www.soundcloud.com/djsarasin
    www.youtube.com/adriansarasin

You want to listen to music like a normal person? Go listen to some classic ALBUMS - Abbey Road, What's Going On, Tommy, Dark Side of the Moon.... Listen all the way through the album. No skipping songs or shuffle. That is my cure for ODing on DJ music. 60's and 70's production is like a bubble bath for the ears. Everything sounds all warm and full - totally different that today's music, especially digital dance music.

Great post, Nick V!!! Agree 100%. It's the difference between ACTIVELY listening (this ends up being sub-conscious for a DJ) and PASSIVELY listening (ie - listening for pleasure alone).

I'll throw in Pet Sounds to your list of great 60's/70's albums with that BIG (but not overwhelming) sound.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Nick V View Post
    You want to listen to music like a normal person? Go listen to some classic ALBUMS - Abbey Road, What's Going On, Tommy, Dark Side of the Moon.... Listen all the way through the album. No skipping songs or shuffle. That is my cure for ODing on DJ music. 60's and 70's production is like a bubble bath for the ears. Everything sounds all warm and full - totally different that today's music, especially digital dance music.
    true...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I've quit DJing on my 21st because being part of the crowd was more fun than behind the turntables. Then the career came, made it up to CEO in the IT business, got a wife and two lovely kids. Two years ago, things went wrong when my oldest kid asked for a controller. Got her a cheap one and a few weeks later there was a DDJ-T1 because I couldn't resist. So after 23 years I'm getting back in business.

Always loved the Hip-Hop, Acid, Disco, Dance, House and Hardstyle styles. But when searching for populair music, there's soooooooo much to choose from. So I chose to stick with the hardstyle type of music. That's a very select and critical audience. Skipped that part and got back to dance. Visited several events and started listening to internet radio stations. I wrote down all the new tracks and browsed for hit lists of the past 5 years. That gave me a nice track list with both well known tracks and very new (unknown) tracks.

The first gigs were just birthday parties of friends and some fun evenings at home with friends. But hey, they liked the track lists. Now it's up to making fame and fortune, getting in contact with local event managers and rebuilding a business. I don't want to make it my core business, just a set once in a while.

I think you're never to old to DJ. But you will have to choose one or two styles and stick with that.

I've played maybe 2 giggs since my 5 year old daughter was born. But in that time I've swapped my gear from cdj's to different controllers and settled with the S4 as I was getting fed up of burning CDs just to play in the house. Traktor enables me to buy my tracks from beatport/traxsource ec and just play them. I have also bought turntables and I love djing more than ever, so it may only be for my own enjoyment but I don't care, I'm 36 now and am still learning about it. I find myself in it for my love of house music whereas when I was younger 12-13 years ago I loved the free bars and getting hammered whilst djing. Most weeks I will get to spend an hour or 2 on my turntables of a Saturday tea time, I have a few cans and get lost in the music in ,y back bedroom, as someone said previous, still bounce around and nod my head vigorously haha..the enjoyment I get out of recording a mix and putting up on soundcloud for others to listen to is massive, especially when someone tales time out of their day to comment and tell me how much they enjoyed llistening to it...that's just a good a feeling as when someone comes up to you in bar/club and hi 5's you and tells you your doing an awesome job...its in my blood, it always will be I think..
    MacBook Pro 17" | 1 x Kontrol S4 | 2 x Technics 1210mk2 | Ortofon Elektro's | TSP | Facebook Soundcloud Mixcloud

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12