I have the longest gig ever coming up. +12 Hours. How the hell do I prepare.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default I have the longest gig ever coming up. +12 Hours. How the hell do I prepare.

EDIT 23: Here's part two of the gig log for this event! This part shows the actual event. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aCpxrgBvxQ

EDIT 2: Here's part one of the gig log for this event! It went great! Part one just shows some planning/setup. Part two will have the actual event. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OiYUc_-JrI

EDIT: I've responded to a lot of questions and suggestions so far, please read my post on page 2 to get up to speed on what's been discussed so far.

So basically, there's this really long gig coming up in February. It looks like were only going to be able to set up on the day of, we'll have about 10 hours to do it, and we'll need all of it. Then, the gig itself, runs from 9pm till 9am

I'm not the only DJ, there should be about 5 DJs total. We're all going to have probably at least two, 1 hour sets. My concern is not really having not enough music, however, I do have 2 significant issues.

1: How am I going to stay awake for 36 hours.
    2: How am I going to keep a crowd excited after hours and hours of music?

Any advice is welcome, and if you want something cleared up, just ask.
    Last edited by fuelandperform; 03-17-2014 at 01:56 PM.

dont be afraid to use extended mixes, like 8-10 min tracks

What kind of music??

12 Hour: House/Tech House mix = definitely possible

12 Hour: Top 40 mix = Hell on earth

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

He's doing 2 x 1 hour sets. That is a piece of cake no matter what the genre.

As for staying awake... how old are you? If you younger than 40 it should be easy. Eat at regular intervals, drink juice, have a few beers. Hell even have Red Bull if you aren't that bothered about your guts.

As for keeping the crowd interested, well that's easy... Just don't suck. They are there for a reason, they want to be kept dancing so just don't suck and they will dance.

This whole day sounds more like a fun day out than anything to worry about.

Have the time of your life.

Totally 100% agree with Karlos. 2 hour set's really are a piece of cake, heck I love being able to play 3-4-5 hr long sets, it takes me the first hour or so just to get into swing :-) eat well, (flapjacks, seriously), drinks, and just have fun! Sleep well the day before. The excitement of the night should overcome any tiredness.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

yeah but what i'm saying, is that if the whole day consists of top 40, people will get burnt out pretty quick.

and if you come on later in the day, and people have been listening to that all day, it's gonna be real hard to keep their attention.

Now its a whole different story if, its music like house, or nudisco, or progressive, you can make the music flow a little better, like having big long breakdowns, and 1-2 minute buildups.

But if your really into what your playing man, then adrenaline should keep you going.

Tech Wizard

I do this all the time, don't sweat it.

You've got plenty of time to sort this. Karlos has some sound advice about eating regular. Your body will need energy to survive it!

Make sure you plan your set up properly. Estimate how long it will take you to do certain parts (allow more than you initially think) and crucially allow time for a proper break with food early evening. This will fuel you properly before the last slog before opening and well into the night when the adrenaline is flowing

Get together with the other DJ's and work out who's playing what and when styles wise so you create a proper flow to the night and you can each plan your sets around it

Enjoy it! A full night of music has it's own magic. The crowd will ebb and flow as groups of friends take breaks from the dancefloor. Don't worry about it just make sure those that are on the dancefloor are having a good time. When others come back from taking a break that good time energy on the floor will drag them back in.

Tech Guru

I DJ and run sound for professional dance competitions. It is common to start on Thursday afternoon or evening and run continuously until the wee hours Monday morning. 18 hour days are common.

Quote Originally Posted by fuelandperform View Post
    1: How am I going to stay awake for 36 hours.
    You're not....at least not while functioning at a level you're willing to claim later.

Plan on a 3-4 hour "power nap" in the "middle" of the event. In particular...the load out crew should get some sleep right before load out starts. The load out is when most damage / accidents / injuries happen, people get tired and a moment of inattention causes an accident. If needed, throw a sleeping bag into the back of the truck, van, trailer, and go lay down in there to get some sleep.

Having people each do two 1-hour sets is a good idea. I would have an "early pair" and a "late pair" and let the middle fall where it may. That will let half of your guys have a 3-4 hour block of time to get something to eat, grab a nap, etc. The people who are playing late can finish up the load in, and the people who are playing early can handle the initial load out.

2: How am I going to keep a crowd excited after hours and hours of music?
    You have not mentioned the context of the gig. That will be key in getting more specific music recommendations.

You will not get away with playing bangers all night long. There must be some pace to the time and some pace to the music. The details will depend on the details.

Any advice is welcome, and if you want something cleared up, just ask.
    You have until Feb to prep...that's good. Start exercising now. By the event, be able to run a 10k (even better, run 10k in the morning and 10k in the evening). Be able to do 45 minutes of body weight resistance exercises (e.g. push ups, pull ups, lunges, burpees, etc). You will be standing an ENORMOUS amount of time during the event....so start doing that now. Try to avoid sitting as much as possible through the day between now and then. The better shape you are in, the easier everything else will be.

Cut out caffeine in the 3 to 4 weeks leading to the event (or now...).

At the event... Avoid sugar. Avoid junk food. Avoid alcohol (if applicable).

Eat real food. Drink water. Bring a cooler with pre-made stuff for the crew. Know where there is a 24-hour restaurant nearby. Have a significant other deliver food to the gig. Do whatever it takes to get REAL FOOD into your system through the night.

Bring a couple changes of clothes. Two sets of load in/out clothes, a set of "gig clothes", something to nap in, etc. Bring something to use to wash up during the event. You will want to clean up after the load in, before the nap, after you eat, and so on...so toothbrush, washcloth, soap, hand towel, deodorant, hair products (as needed), etc.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Yeah I hear that!

OP: What style of music is the night? Underground House, Techno? Mersh? Drum n bass, etc. Prepare an intro for your set. I'm fussing your going to be there the whole night so you can read the crowd and listen to their sets. Chuck in some classics, play extended mixes.. It's hard to say when I don't know what style of music the night is.
    Roland TB-3, Roland TR-505, Maschine MK1 2.0, Alesis VI25, Novation Impulse 25, Allen & Heath ZED 10, iMac 2.9 GHz i5 8GB RAM, MBP 15" 2.66GHz, Logic Pro 9, Logic Pro X, Ableton Live 8, Ableton Live 9, KRK Rokit 8 G5's, Editor Keys Monitor Guards, Traktor Scratch Pro 2, Audio 10, , Vestax PDX-d3s x2, Kontrol X1 x2, Lexicon Alpha USB Audio Interface,

coffee lots of coffee...

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post

Plan on a 3-4 hour "power nap" in the "middle" of the event. In particular...the load out crew should get some sleep right before load out starts. The load out is when most damage / accidents / injuries happen, people get tired and a moment of inattention causes an accident. If needed, throw a sleeping bag into the back of the truck, van, trailer, and go lay down in there to get some sleep.

Having people each do two 1-hour sets is a good idea. I would have an "early pair" and a "late pair" and let the middle fall where it may. That will let half of your guys have a 3-4 hour block of time to get something to eat, grab a nap, etc. The people who are playing late can finish up the load in, and the people who are playing early can handle the initial load out.

...Cut out caffeine in the 3 to 4 weeks leading to the event (or now...).

At the event... Avoid sugar. Avoid junk food. Avoid alcohol (if applicable).

Eat real food. Drink water. Bring a cooler with pre-made stuff for the crew. Know where there is a 24-hour restaurant nearby. Have a significant other deliver food to the gig. Do whatever it takes to get REAL FOOD into your system through the night.

Bring a couple changes of clothes. Two sets of load in/out clothes, a set of "gig clothes", something to nap in, etc. Bring something to use to wash up during the event. You will want to clean up after the load in, before the nap, after you eat, and so on...so toothbrush, washcloth, soap, hand towel, deodorant, hair products (as needed), etc.

Some good advice here. Especially the bits about junkfood/sugar and making sure the load out crew are well rested.

I'll add to that and say you need to be strict regarding alcohol and load out

If ANYONE looks even the slightest bit worse for wear send them home.

It might take you longer but it will be safer

When it comes to load out make sure you have people on board who understand that 'more haste equals less speed and more danger'

Plan on a slow but steady take down this is a marathon not a sprint!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast