Shaking the computer whoas & writers block
    Tech Wizard

Default Shaking the computer whoas & writers block

Ok, So.

Lately I have just recently started learning Electronic music production . since about february to be precise. I am native to instruments and the switch was a bit of a shock in terms of song writing..

When i initially set off, i had all the the stamina in the world to write new songs! NON STOP! But, as time went on i started finding myself starting other projects before finishing and overall songwriting came to a screeching halt!

Im not sure if its because i spend at least 2-3 hours EVERYDAY smashing my face against a screen trying to figure out how to design a specific sound or mix a particular track, but i just cant seem to get anything done or get as much enjoyment out of it as i used to!! Ill start a song and get about 1/3 of the way through and then i just get worn out! I don't have the will to put my ideas down!

HOW IN GODS NAME ARE YOU PEOPLE FENDING OFF WRITERS BLOCK AND PUTTING OUT SO MUCH GREAT MUSIC!?

Do you guys find electronic production to have a different approach then traditional guitar and vocal songwriting? is there any tips or tricks i could do to save myself painful hours on something? etc etc.

What are your thoughts/comments/concerns/advice?

Tech Wizard

Put it down for a week or two. Give your ears and mind a rest then when refreshed just play about for a while.

Remember when you were a kid and you learnt by playing and experimenting? Try the same approach now.

There's plenty of time to refine it all in the future and I guarantee only a fraction of what you do now will stand the test of time and of the stuff that does you'll rework it again in the future when your skills have improved

Don't worry about trying to create a particular sound or fit within a particular genre

Just play about

It sounds like your creative juices are getting bogged down in the nitty gritty of finer points of production too soon and you need to relax a little and get the enjoyment back

If you are used to writing with an instrument, write songs that way. Then arrange and expand on the song in the software using the song written in the traditional way as an outline.

For the start you havent been at it for too long so dont be too pressured to have your "sound" right now.
    Take some time off and find the love for music in general again! Sometimes its good to not produce for a week or two and just collect thoughts and ideas.

Give your brain time to breathe and learn.

Tech Mentor

I agree with VanGoGo, myself I'm from a traditional instrument background. When I started making beats same thing. I was able to fly through joints, one a day or at least 5-6 a week. Now, I can't. I'll get some groovy drums going then stop. Melody or chord progression and stop.

Best thing I found was closing down the computer tucking away the Maschine and just sit on my balcony and play aimlessly on my guitar. Nothing in particular just played. Eventually what would happen, is melodies, chord progressions and arrangement ideas would organically occur.

After a week or so I've got something to take back to the computer. Also, I do not fuss around with sound design or automation. Make mental note of what you want to do, put project markers in places so you can go back and do whatever it is you want to do.