AutoGain & Bitrates - ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default AutoGain & Bitrates - ?

Need advice on auto gain issues . The autogain feature allows you to keep your tracks at the same volume level. How does this affect it when a track that has a bitrate of 128 being mixed into a track that has a bitrate of 320?

Of course it's been mentioned that all your tracks should be 192 or higher if you're playing at club system level.

The reason I ask is because I have some songs that are pretty rare and hard to find...and the ones I have were encoded at 128.

no matter what bitrate your tracks has, the volume should/will always be the same. that being said, your 320kbps files will sound MUCH better on a big system than your 128kbps files.

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

It will make the tracks that are 128kbps louder too, but it will also accentuate the weaknesses of the compression.

Creative uses of EQ can kind of mask this, though.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Quote Originally Posted by VoOFA View Post
    no matter what bitrate your tracks has, the volume should/will always be the same.
    If your tracks are all normalized they will be the same volume, and all the peaks of the songs will be exactly as loud. Traktor dose have an auto gain feature that will automatically adjust the gain when you open the song. I wouldnt rely on it personally.

If your not playing in a club or a huge venue, you really shouldnt worry about bitrates. Most people wont know the difference.
    Dj Krilikz‡ -

Quote Originally Posted by Krilikz View Post
    Traktor dose have an auto gain feature that will automatically adjust the gain when you open the song. I wouldnt rely on it personally.
    I agree if your using a mixer use the LED metering on each channel instead (which im not sure what is called in english)
    Last edited by VoOFA; 08-11-2008 at 10:41 AM.

VoOFA Quote:
    Originally Posted by Krilikz
    Traktor dose have an auto gain feature that will automatically adjust the gain when you open the song. I wouldnt rely on it personally.

I agree if your using a mixer use the LED metering on each channel instead (which im not sure what is called in english)

that's the way!

...the autogain in traktor is not exact by some trackcs,but vhen you use the VU meters and your ears there will be no problem.
    Last edited by orca; 08-11-2008 at 11:44 AM.

Tech Convert

How does the Autogain work?

If i analyze a track, the gain buttons in the mixer are all 0.0db

Quote Originally Posted by mofo View Post
    How does the Autogain work?

If i analyze a track, the gain buttons in the mixer are all 0.0db
    Traktor seems to set the gain buttons on deck load, so after analyzing a track while it's loaded in deck, you have to load it again to make the auto-gain work.

Tech Convert

Im so fuckin dumb.. i just found the button "GAIN" just left to "LIM" and it was OFF

Tech Convert

for the sake of future proofing (eg. going from bedroom dj'ing into playing outside the bedroom), please keep bitrates at a MINIMUM at 192kbps. i absolutely cringe whenever i hear 128kbps because the dynamics are so shot that it sounds horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Krilikz View Post
    If your not playing in a club or a huge venue, you really shouldnt worry about bitrates. Most people wont know the difference.
    personally, i wouldnt agree with this. on SHITTY computer speakers (eg. 2.1 altec lansings from any comp store that can be had for <$80), it is quite easy to tell the difference between 128kbps and 192kbps. even more so with headphones. imo, the difference is close to day n night!

not until recently when i upgraded my audio interface and got a set of monitors (event tr8's) can i now easily tell the difference between 192kbps and 320kbps.

but for the average punter, please please keep your standard mp3 at 192kbps as a minimum. anything more than that would be great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast