Do "professional" producers use loops? What is your view on loops? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by djchriswoods.co.uk View Post
    sure drum machines and old hardware sequencers were essentially creating loops...
    I've actually been wondering the same thing so I'm glad I came across this topic. I'm not a fan of using loops overall, mostly because I like to create everything myself however sometimes they're nice to have around. Personally, I think that if you edit the sounds for your own personal preferance then nobody should really be able to fault one for using them.

Tech Guru

I think loops/loop packs are a great way for beginners to understand all the different components of a song, especially remix stems. It's funny that today there is such an emphasis on production for DJ's if they want to really stand out or get noticed. Yet the advice usually starts and stops at: "you have to learn to produce, get a DAW, and just start messing around."

I think more people should suggest loop packs for beginners and from there just start extremely small and basic. Take a song you like and maybe try out different drum loops from a loop pack. This is especially useful with remix stems. Take the original drums out of the mix and you can cleanly throw in your own drum loops, or just take the bass out and try adding in your own bass/bass loops. That's what I mean by starting small. Don't try to completely remix the whole thing, just start by switching one element of the track.

Tech Guru

Nothing wrong with using them if you are doing something creative with it. Process,Sample etc

I quite often use drum loops and stuff in behind my own drums to layer and give texture. Its actually a known and well used process

Tech Wizard

This is a who cares matter. You are creating your own loop and flavor to it that it is your own creation when your done altering it.
    MacBook Pro 15" |

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    You could always cut up the loops and play them in a different order, etc to make it less recognizable as well. Personally, I have no issue with using a sample or loop as a background part of the song, I love hearing familiar loops and samples that cause me to want to hear that song from 1989 again. But, I believe it has to be a very small, complimentary part of the song.
    I agree lots of great party tunes are used taking loops. Many of the Hip Hop producers and many of the Drum and Bass producers take things directly, check out Shy FX's new tune with Liam Bailey he's just taken Lloyd Charmers's "Hi Shan" and remade his version. Sounds nice!

My view has changed over time on the use of loops, the way I now see them is either to add "spice" to your loops, things such as shakers which will have a much more "live" feel than programming them yourself.

I also try not to use loops that I don't think I could make myself.

The other use is to mash them up and warp/time stretch them so that they are barely recognisable as the original!
    "We think too much and feel too little"
    K B R I D G E

Last edited by tekki; 07-14-2014 at 01:11 PM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

This is something that musicians and recording artists have done....forever. Mozart "sampled" Bach all the time. Fast forward to jazz. The way so many jazz greats learned how to play was to transcribe improvised solos of their favorite musicians, and then they'd find the little "licks" in those solos that really moved them and practiced the crap out of them until it became part of their own repertoire.

Tech Mentor

Everyone uses loops, every big producer uses loops.

There are many things you can do with loops, not just simply place the whole loop onto the track, but you can isolate individual sounds. For example, if you're looking for a certain type of clap and can't find it as an individual sample, maybe a certain loop contains the clap you're looking for, so you can easily isolate that sound and simply sample it onto an individual track.

loops 4 president seriously

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast