Beatport CEO Matthew Adell doing an Ask Me Anything on Reddit right now

Default Beatport CEO Matthew Adell doing an Ask Me Anything on Reddit right now

Pretty interesting so far
    http://www.reddit.com/r/Music/commen...atport_ask_me/

[–]Dr0me 3 points 31 minutes ago
    Why can't DJs go back and redownload their tracks after the initially download them. If some one loses their computer or it crashes ETC didn't they already pay for their tracks and should be able to redownload them?

[–]BeatportCEOVerified[S] 1 point 1 minute ago
    I agree with you. That is how it should work. Nonetheless, iTunes does not allow it and they have become a defacto industry standard for how the rights work.
    If this does happen, you should reach out to customer care (support@beatport.com) and they will try to sort you out.

This is a big issue, and goe back to the days of CD's. If a CD get's broken, you SHOULD be able to get a replacement CD for free - because you've already paid for the license for the music.

The CDis not the product - th elicense to listen to it is.

I think...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    This is a big issue, and goe back to the days of CD's. If a CD get's broken, you SHOULD be able to get a replacement CD for free - because you've already paid for the license for the music.

The CDis not the product - th elicense to listen to it is.

I think...
    I don't think that's how it works. You don't get another copy of a vinyl if you break it or a VHS tape if you break it.
    So if you follow this logic then no you shouldn't be able to redownload tracks.

BUT, if beatport and itunes don't let you re-download and your harddrive dies and you're dumb enough to not have a backup - you will probably end up priating the tracks, so they are sort of screwing themselves by not letting re-downloads.

the conversation continues

[–]gustavabane 4 points 8 minutes ago
    What?.. you can indeed re-download purchases from the iTunes store, otherwise people would have to purchase the same songs for their phone, ipad, macbook whatever other icrap they have.. I have to agree with Dr0me this is one of my major gripes with beatport. To say that you agree but then to put the blame for a money grab on another completely different business is nonsense. You sir should run for a Government office.

[–]BeatportCEOVerified[S] 1 point 6 minutes ago
    In that use case, you are correct sir. I use iTunes Match, which I pay extra for, to sync music across my devices.

[–]eriwinsto 1 point 2 minutes ago
    Yeah, iTunes In The Cloud is free--you can download any song or video or app you've purchased if you have your Apple ID.

[–]matlikeadoor 1 point 2 minutes ago
    There have, indeed, been many changes over the last few years within the rights for music you purchase via iTunes.
    The currently rights (active for the last few years) allow you to redownload any content you have purchased with the same ID indefinitely without paying for iTunes Match.
    tl;dr iTunes does allow redownloading for free.
    Edit: grammar

[–]BeatportCEOVerified[S] 1 point 11 seconds ago
    I stand corrected and I will endeavor to find out how we can get the same rights.

some progress i guess.

Tech Guru

Doesn't Itunes allow redownloads of any purchase, without paying for Match?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

^^ yeah they do. beatport ceo was informed of this and has decided to try and get the same setup for beatport. i just wonder if they'll issue refunds to people who repurchased lost tracks.