sound system help

Default sound system help

What all is needed for a good sound system for a house party?
    I am dumb as can be when it comes to knowing anything about this.All I know is ( think I know.... ) ....
    Hook computer to external sound card, plug headphones into that, and then something not so clear about speakers, subwoofers, amplifiers, cables, mixers, and the like.
    Then there is the routing from traktor to all these channel sound route things...
    lol

Well need to know a few things....

1. are you looking to purchase system, Rent, borrow or Steal
    2. whats the amount of people your expecting
    3. your budget (sound gear can get expensive)

your will get alot of posts on preference

Amps
    As far as brands Crown amps are mules...
    I have an old CSL800 that I beat the crap out of it and just keeps Thumpin

Im not too sure on the Berhinger, I have an EP1500 amp that has issues and I have had the thing completely apart unit does not run well bridged

Speakers
    Yahamaha 15" club series cabs I used for mids and highs at one venue were awesome. id love to have a set

JBL stuff is nice aw well thier line array series cost a mint. I have not had the chance to check out the new PRX cabs (powered speakers)

Tips:
    If you are looking to set up a small multi amped system (separate subs / Mids&Highs) and get the most out of what power you have....

Group your subs together, don't space them apart. its an increase in db when coupled. = a gain in loudness. even better fire them in a corner of the room & space 12"-15" away from the wall, usually expect a 4-6 Db increase in room gain.

For your mid and high cabs use speaker stands to get them above head height to cover the room better otherwise your precious watts get absorbed by the bodies when they are at ground level
    Current Gear: Vestax VCI-100 with DJTT overlay and firmware mod / M-audio Fast Track Pro / Traktor Pro / Windows XP Pro / Korg Nanopad / Akai LPD8 / American Audio MCD-510 / and craploads of other gear

|www.poweralleydj.com||www.myspace.com/dj-tim|

i've rocked a few small house parties with a pc system (logitech, 2 monitors and a 6'' sub) and could only crank it halfway before it was just too loud. granted this was about 30-40 people, but sometimes it's just about the room you're in.
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

1.Buy
    2.About 50

Thank you thats some good advice, I never knew those speakers on the really tall stands actually had a purpose lol. I am pretty sure me and my bud know what kind were going to get ( well he knows and I trust him ) I am just not confident to set the shit up without having to worry about something blowing up lol. you seem to know alot about this subject tell me if this seems all right ( by all right I mean itll be really deep and loud with no sudden snapping and speakers breaking lol )
    Firewire cable to external sound card. ( headphones from here to head lol )
    cables from the sound card to the amp.
    cables from the amp to a subwoofer, 5, 3 level speakers, and to 2 monitors.
    If i plug this in and just crank it up should it be all right?

That would work.. , most of the newer sound equipment (Amps) has some form clip limiting, but its not foolproof.. when performing glance an eye on your amps to make sure you aren't overpowering (heavy clipping) an occasional flash of the clip light is okay but solidly lit clip indicators, usually lead to damaged speakers..

I use a DBX166 Dual compressor limiter to keep my levels at bay in case i get a little overzelous with the master volume knob

and I use a Berhinger DCX2496 active crossover to feed to different amps...

Im one of the few that take "house party" to a different level, here is a pic from last years Halloween party I threw

2) 15" subs running at 1400 Watts.
    4) single 15" driver / horn cabs running at 350 watts a cab.

Had to run everything on 2 separate 20 amp breakers, and needless to say i think the whole neighborhood heard we had a party
    Last edited by djtimmmy; 09-30-2009 at 07:48 PM.
    Current Gear: Vestax VCI-100 with DJTT overlay and firmware mod / M-audio Fast Track Pro / Traktor Pro / Windows XP Pro / Korg Nanopad / Akai LPD8 / American Audio MCD-510 / and craploads of other gear

Haha damn I don't know what that rack of stuff is but it looks insane. I don't know how your party even lasted that long were expecting to throw it for maybe two hours tops before someone tells us to turn it off I live where its way to urban maybe I should get something portable and do a little free party lol

hehe we partied from 8pm to 3am about 60 people... after 2am I had to tone it down a little, amazingly enough cops weren't called that night suprisingly...
    Last edited by djtimmmy; 09-30-2009 at 08:11 PM.

that's a nice party setup for sure!
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

2 Mackie SRM-450's will rock pretty much any house party.

I have 2 of the older versions which I bought December of last year for 1000. I was told to turn it down with just one playing. If that doesn't get it done they have powered subs you can add too. Plus they are self-powered so no extra amps to carry around.

More Info: HERE
    I ♥ Tech-House
    Dell Studio 1537: 2.26GHZ, 4GB (Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit) Traktor Scratch Pro 1.2.1: 2 Numark TT-200, Stanton M-505 Mixer, 2 Mackie SRM-450 Speakers.

Tech Mentor

If you got 2K I would find 2 Makie Powered Speakers and call it good. Later you could add a powered sub. I own 2 EV subs, 2 peavy SP15's, and 2 older 15's plus 3 amps to run it all. It's too much stuff to transport for a simple DJ set up.

The powered speakers are rad because the amps are built in. They take up less space. The Mackies are awesome. We crank my buddies up and they never clip and can get SUPER Loud!!! He has been running bands through them for a couple years. Suckers are tough. The other upside to powered speakers, is later you could add a sub, and maybe one of those PA drive racks made for powered speakers. They are simple to use and make it easy to EQ, compress, get the most out of your system.

Bheringer makes some speakers like the Mackie's. Much cheaper. Sound good up front, but my experience is you get what you pay for whne it come's to gear like this. If you got the money get the Mackie! They will last forever, and you can re-sell them at a greater value than something cheap.