Using Traktor Ableton Sync tutorial - question...
    Tech Wizard

Default Using Traktor Ableton Sync tutorial - question...

I found the excellent tutorial posted by Nico - it answers a question I have been bothering poeople to no avail on the Ableton forum - IE how can I sync Live with Traktor...

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/05/1...ableton-4-mac/

However there is one thing Im not clear on - I would like to use Timecoded vinyl to DJ and Mix with Traktor - so when mixing live with Traktor - at what point does Traktor get the MIDI info to send to Ableton? Does it work out the BPM from the master output? How accurate is this calculation?

Ive not purchased Traktor yet - Im investigating how I can achieve the set-up Im looking for:

DJ Mix with timecode vinyl with Traktor
    Drop acapellas thru Abelton w FX etc...

Traktors master clock generates the midi time signal that Ableton uses to sync to, so you need to beatmatch your tunes to the master clock to keep it in time.

"Does it work out the BPM from the master output?" - No, think of the master clock as a metronome, its your job to keep things on time. You can do this by beat griding and using the phase meter to make sure your on time, of you could beatmatch the clips manually by ear.

Tech Wizard

Thanks Bento

So does this mean I effectively would have to be beatmatching my 'records' whilst also globally beatmatching with Traktors master tempo?

Isnt this adding an extra level of difficulty? Or is it not that hard in practice...using this 'phase meter' and other methods...?

If your tracks were beat gridded you could switch between master and slave on the decks you are mixing. If a deck is set to master its tempo will be used to sync to Ableton. You will find this is the easiest option, it just takes some keyboard mappings or a midi controller to pull off. You will have to put also need to have your master tempo in slave mode while doing this.