Subwoofer question
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    48

    Default Subwoofer question

    For playing in small bars (25-60 people), would it be possible to use a subwoofer originally intended for the trunk of a car? If so, what would be best? Sealed, ported, or bandpass for someone playing a mix of EDM and Hip-Hop? I'm asking because I have a gig tonight and I'd like to add more bass as I'm using some small 8" Kustom PA speakers w/ horns. Craigslist in the area has tons of car subwoofers in boxes for sale but I'm on a tight budget at the moment. Alternatively, I could bring my Pioneer home theatre speakers but I'd prefer not to do that as they're in wood-grain type cabinets and I don't want them getting scratched.

  2. #2
    Tech Mentor P4ULSON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    The West Coast
    Posts
    274

    Default

    i hope your gettin paid to play out. go rent some decent power speakers with the money your getting..... your gonna look like a clown rockin home audio equipment in a public venue..... why do i feel like i'm being trolled haha

  3. #3

    Default

    You COULD use the box from your car, but just rent a proper SUB from your local music store for the night, it's typically pretty cheap.
    Pioneer XDJ-RX//Rekordbox & Ableton Push 1//Ableton 9 Suite
    15" MacBook Pro 2017//Quad Core i7 @ 3.1GHz//16GB RAM//1TB SSD//AMD 560 4GB GPU

  4. #4
    Tech Guru antifmradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NJ NYC
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    no my friend
    that absolutely WOULD NOT WORK
    before the night was over, you would have burned out the pole in that trunk speaker
    They arent designed for FULL SCALE USE over a 6 hour period non stop.

    Besides, they are really made to be used in confined spaces, not in open air spaces.

    Bandpass would NEVER work in an open air as it vibrates the things around it,
    You want to hang out in your bedroom or friends house and F*CK around for a few hours, great, do that with them
    but in a venue PA system.... hellz no. Plan on not bringing it home after that

  5. #5
    Tech Guru Polygon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A salt mine in Michigan
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    no my friend
    that absolutely WOULD NOT WORK
    before the night was over, you would have burned out the pole in that trunk speaker
    They arent designed for FULL SCALE USE over a 6 hour period non stop.

    Besides, they are really made to be used in confined spaces, not in open air spaces.

    Bandpass would NEVER work in an open air as it vibrates the things around it,
    You want to hang out in your bedroom or friends house and F*CK around for a few hours, great, do that with them
    but in a venue PA system.... hellz no. Plan on not bringing it home after that

    Agree on everything except on the bandpass hatred. Many pro subs are built with bandpass enclosures, and work perfectly well in open-air environments.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

  6. #6
    Tech Guru antifmradio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NJ NYC
    Posts
    1,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Many pro subs are built with bandpass enclosures, and work perfectly well in open-air environments.
    absolutly correct however, the ones you are talking about used in venues are generally Dual 15" enclosures with at least a 12" horn on them and the box is over sized by about 17%

    Try sticking one of those in your car trunk hahhahaha

    they arent built the same as would be for a car is what im getting at.

  7. #7
    Tech Guru Polygon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    A salt mine in Michigan
    Posts
    1,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    absolutly correct however, the ones you are talking about used in venues are generally Dual 15" enclosures with at least a 12" horn on them and the box is over sized by about 17%

    Try sticking one of those in your car trunk hahhahaha

    they arent built the same as would be for a car is what im getting at.
    Oh yeah sorry i somehow thought OP was in for building his own, pardon me. I meand pro boxes too

    And yes, to OP, car boxes won't work. They'll lack punch and probably blow up mid-set.
    Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    I only use VINYL flooring. Rugs are for cheaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If you can't find an Abba song that you like, you are a liar of the highest order.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    Agree on everything except on the bandpass hatred. Many pro subs are built with bandpass enclosures, and work perfectly well in open-air environments.
    +1

    The Yamaha DXS 15 is the best bang for the buck going and it's a bandpass.

    http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-DXS15-15--Active-Subwoofer-107459554-i2331556.gc?source=4WWRWXGP&gclid=CI_2o4XmxroCFa5r 7AodwGgA5A&kwid=productads-plaid^65672701482-sku^107459554@ADL4GC-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^27113315442

  9. #9
    Tech Wizard
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Lakewood, OH
    Posts
    59

    Default

    If you are going to be playing out regularly, invest in a decent sub/pa system, or just rent.

    Unfortunately when you start playing out you will be judged by not just the sound of your gear, but also the appearance. I would strongly advise against using any type of home theater system.
    __________________________________________________ _________________________________
    Denon MC6000, Dual HP laptops, EV LIve X tops and sub.
    Technics 1200mkII

  10. #10
    Tech Mentor M.Beijer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    stockholm
    Posts
    383

    Default

    You should not use your carsubwoofer, as someone mentioned its designed for small spaces.

    You should not either just use 1 sub, get atleast 2. 4 if possible for easier setup and a tighter more even response in the whole place.
    With just 1 sub you will have trouble with peaks in the some certain areas of the room.

    Ported constructions delivers deeper bass and sealed gives a tighter, punchier response.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •