asking another dj for some help

Default asking another dj for some help

so i recently got a residency position playing at a bowling alley for cosmic bowling, and there have a bar/lounge in the venue where another dj plays. ive talked to him a few times about his setup, how to get gigs. he also plays at a hooka lounge so i went the other day and talked to him a little.

Ill admit im not a very good rap/hiphop dj since "edm" is my bread and butter but would it be weird to hit him up on fb just to say like, hey whats up man i was wondering if we could get together some time if you arent to busy and give me some pointers on playing rap/hiphop.

Tech Guru

Nothing wrong with asking for some help. If he is a decent enough person he should be more than happy to give you some tips or at least point you in the direction of some tutorials etc.

Tech Guru

To add to that, mixing hip hop is definitely a bit different to spinning four on the floor dance music. I would be asking for some tips and looking on youtube if I was in your shoes.

thanks for the suggestion! i think im having a hard time with it because im using ableton live and an apc40. it just feels awkward. do you have any suggestions for what i should look up on youtube?

Tech Guru

Will you be bringing your own gear or do they have a setup at the places you are playing at? If your using Ableton I wouldn't be the best person to ask as I spin mostly vinyl and a bit of time code with Traktor when I want to play something digital.

I would guess that Abelton would be pretty easy for spinning hip hop provided you are good at your prep work. I'm guessing you could do some cool cue (or scene jumping whatever they call it in Abelton land ) jumping stuff. Maybe load up some scratch samples as well.

I'm sure there will be some people on here that can help if not youtube should have a sh*t load of tutorials on it.
    Last edited by LoopCat; 11-04-2013 at 06:58 PM.