Question for first outdoors gig.
    Tech Wizard

Default Question for gig.

Thanks.
    Last edited by sovvy; 11-05-2013 at 05:16 PM.

Tech Wizard

You don't plug the house mixer into the S4. You plug the S4 into one of the available channels of the house mixer. The RCA pair on the main out of the S4 is what you would use to plug into the house mixer.
    15" Macbook Pro (2.0 GHz Core i7, 16 GB) Mac OS X 10.7 Ableton Suite 9. iPad (Liine Lemur).

Yes mate, plug your main out into an available channel on the mixer, this also has the advantage of a quick change over after the last dj. Also, don't forget to bring a ground loop isolator in case of any feedback issues.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

dont worry about the XLR's unless they have a mixing board.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by sovvy View Post
    >>>The RCA pair on the main out of the S4 is what you would use to plug into the house mixer.

I see the S4 has four xlr main outs.
    At home I just use two of them.
    At events does one also just use two?

I'll take a pair of spare xlr cables - but I'm not sure exactly where to plug it in (I see Xone and Pioneer four channel mixers have basically the same in and out points on their back) - their inputs have four sockets - should I just use two right?

Thanks for helping I'm not familiar with other equipment right now.

The S4 does have four main outs. However, they are not XLR, one pair is RCA (the red and black pair), and the other is a TRS connection, or commonly referred to the 1/4 inch jack. You would plug in the RCA main out into an available CD/LINE channel in the mixer. So, yes, you might need to take a spare RCA cable.

Also, this website will help you to distinguish the different types of common audio connectors and plugs.
    http://www.dawsons.co.uk/blog/a-guid...able-connector
    15" Macbook Pro (2.0 GHz Core i7, 16 GB) Mac OS X 10.7 Ableton Suite 9. iPad (Liine Lemur).

Like most mixers, the S4 has multiple main outs, In your case use the RCA one to plug into the main mixer. Of course you can use the XLR's if you want,

Tech Wizard

i use XLR's into the mixer, i had some rca trouble in the past with drop outs (still never found out if it was my end or the clubs) but i got cheap XLR to XLR from monoprice and it has sounded much better.

Tech Guru

Using balanced connections only really helps over long distances, and it only eliminates general interference rather than preventing drop outs.

Club mixers will have RCA inputs, whereas studio mixers and other consoles typically use TRS sockets for line-level input. XLR is generally used for the final output into the PA system.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

I compared the sound of the S4 plugged into active speakers (balanced TRS and xlr cable),
    versus a RCA connected via an external mixer.

Didn't notice much of a difference in sound quality - the rca connection sounds fine.
    Last edited by sovvy; 11-07-2013 at 08:31 AM.

Tech Guru

Balanced cables are better shielded and therefore do not get interference, whereas RCA can be affected.

I used to run RCA's from my soundcard to my speakers, and a lot of noise in the signal, as soon as I switched to TRS got a lot cleaner signal, and now don't suffer with inteference.

There isn't a difference in sound quality. God you can spend hundreds on RCA's in the HI-Fi world.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact