Not enough USB-ports on macbook
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Not enough USB-ports on macbook

Hey guys

I bought a new macbook pro 13" and now i have a problem. I don't have enough usb-ports for dj'ing (i only have 2 ports). I need 1 usb port for my vci and the other port for my soundcard. But now i cant connect my mouse/keyboard.
    I dont want to use a power adaptor for my vci or my soundcard so i am looking for a firewire 800 soundcard so i can save one usb port for my mouse and keyboard..

The problem is all the firewire 800 cards i've found so far are above my budget (200 euro's) and i really need one port for my mouse keyboard etc.

How did you guys solve this problem??

Thanx

Nick

maybe u should buy an active usb hub...that could help...i did this for my vaio cause it only had 3 usb...
    I'm just a girl, standing in front of a boy, asking him to love her.

Wireless (bluetooth) mouse and keyboard?

The apple one's aren't cheap but they are sexy!
    MacBook, Senn. HD25 II, Traktor Pro, Xone:2D + X-Session Pro
    New Ableton Live 8

jonparker.co.uk | soundcloud.com/jonparker | @jonparkeruk

i bet you could run the VCI off a USB hub with no problems. just make sure you get a power brick for the VCI. USB2.0 has plenty bandwith for the vci, mouse, and keyboard.
    Numark NS7 | Asus U81A - C2D 2.1ghz 4gb 320gb | Serato Itch | Traktor Pro | Homework Help

you can pick up a used presonus firebox for under $200
    [Macbook 2.2ghz core 2, 4gb ram, 500gb 7200 Seagate Momentus HD, Western Digital 500gb external HD, Lion 10.7.2, Kontrol S4, Midi Fighter #67, Pioneer HDJ-2000, Traktor Pro 2

Tech Guru

yeah look for a usb hub. they have them super cheap at monoprice.com

Tech Wizard

First of all thanks for all those fast replies, really appreciate that!

So i have 2 options:

1. I buy a usb-hub to connect my vci and my mouse(but i need to buy a adaptor for the vci, because the usb-hub cant supply enough power?) but now have 1 port free for a usb-sound card.

2. I buy a firewire 800 soundcard, and i am able to use my two free usb-ports (converting firewire 800 to firewire 200 or 400 wil give me power supply problems?) The PreSonus FireBox isnt a firewire 800 soundcard is it?

I am leaning towards option two because i dont like using a adaptor for my vci..
    So now i have to find a firewire 800 card below the 200 euro's..

Help me

Default Re: Not enough USB-ports on macbook

Quote Originally Posted by schaap

2. I buy a firewire 800 soundcard, and i am able to use my two free usb-ports (converting firewire 800 to firewire 200 or 400 wil give me power supply problems?) The PreSonus FireBox isnt a firewire 800 soundcard is it?

I am leaning towards option two because i dont like using a adaptor for my vci..

Help me
    to work with mac, my firebox liked it when it had a power supply connected, otherwise it gives you issues, like not connecting and shit. so power supply shouldn't be an issue as long as you can connect the ac adapter
    soundcloud.com/hpntk / soundcloud.com/freakstep
    freakstep.com / thefreakbeat.com
    me on beatport / me on djtunes
    Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ
    My solution: Pay some one to whack them so you don't have any competition

Tech Wizard

did a little research but the firebox isnt firwire 800 is it?

Quote Originally Posted by schaap View Post
    First of all thanks for all those fast replies, really appreciate that!

So i have 2 options:

1. I buy a usb-hub to connect my vci and my mouse(but i need to buy a adaptor for the vci, because the usb-hub cant supply enough power?) but now have 1 port free for a usb-sound card.

Help me
    You could get a powered usb hub instead of a power brick for the VCI.
    Numark NS7 | Asus U81A - C2D 2.1ghz 4gb 320gb | Serato Itch | Traktor Pro | Homework Help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast