Legal Question - playing out Bootlegs and Reworks - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I think I understand the question a bit better now that I've visited the SC link.

The remix that the SC page owner has made is NOT downloadable - so you're asking if you can "pirate" it so that you can own that remix, right? Record it from SC, and then play it out, right?

Again, I'd say if you want to you should - but recording from soundcloud is not advisable. You won't be able to get a very good quality rip of it.

Now, if you e-mail the SC page owner and ask nicely, he/she may be happy enough to send you a d/l link to a high quality (.wav/320kbps .mp3) version. No harm in dropping them an e-mail and asking.

And, then, if they give you a d/l, play it wherever the hell you want!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Ahhh i see, my fault. I just assumed we were dealing in 320 I forgot about rips.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    I think I understand the question a bit better now that I've visited the SC link.

The remix that the SC page owner has made is NOT downloadable - so you're asking if you can "pirate" it so that you can own that remix, right? Record it from SC, and then play it out, right?

Again, I'd say if you want to you should
    - but recording from soundcloud is not advisable. You won't be able to get a very good quality rip of it.

Now, if you e-mail the SC page owner and ask nicely, he/she may be happy enough to send you a d/l link to a high quality (.wav/320kbps .mp3) version. No harm in dropping them an e-mail and asking.

And, then, if they give you a d/l, play it wherever the hell you want!
    nah man

that's more like it

Tech Mentor

Dropped a message to the remixer, let's hope for the best
    Thanks for your replies all
    And yeah, i'm not a fan of ripping stuff from soundcloud/youtube either
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Play whatever you want, and never concern yourselves with the legality of it.

Your soul with thank you, and your brain will thank you for not dwelling on such ridiculous thoughts!
    Seriously. I have never thought once about the legality of playing a song and I've been djing for 15 years.
    Pretty much every DJ out there is pirating music even if they say they're not. Just play it, you're not gonna get sued, you're not gonna get arrested.

Chances are the song you're so worried about will be released in a week and then forgotten about forever in 2 weeks so do whatever you want with the music!

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by donstone View Post
    Just play it, you're not gonna get sued, you're not gonna get arrested.
    That depends who happens to be at the venue, and dj's HAVE been sued in the past, sure in a local disco bar its unlikely, but if it was a semi-highend club, dodgy.

Where it comes to sound cloud, artists have the option of making a track downloadable for the very reason of avoiding piracy of an unreleased track.

If they make a track stream only I would not consider ripping it. (1) Plain bad manners (2) IS illegal (3) Sound quality would suck anyhow.

If they make a track downloadable though (which requires extra mouse clicks after upload), sure I'd play it as they made the effort to share it to the world.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    That depends who happens to be at the venue, and dj's HAVE been sued in the past, sure in a local disco bar its unlikely, but if it was a semi-highend club, dodgy.

Where it comes to sound cloud, artists have the option of making a track downloadable for the very reason of avoiding piracy of an unreleased track.

If they make a track stream only I would not consider ripping it. (1) Plain bad manners (2) IS illegal (3) Sound quality would suck anyhow.

If they make a track downloadable though (which requires extra mouse clicks after upload), sure I'd play it as they made the effort to share it to the world.
    If you're playing at a high end club you would't be asking this question. You wouldn't be worried about playing pirated music either.
    If you play a streamed track that is not available for download you're just a bad DJ anyways.

Who has been sued for playing an unreleased track? link me an article please.

Most legitimate nightclubs and venues out there will have a license which allows them to play music in a commercial environment. It's a blanket license that essentially lets you play anything you want. Just go for it.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by DJRavine View Post
    Most legitimate nightclubs and venues out there will have a license which allows them to play music in a commercial environment. It's a blanket license that essentially lets you play anything you want. Just go for it.
    This is correct. All commercial venues pay a licensing fee for the music. In Canada, even at weddings you pay what we call a SOCAN fee, which is the Society of Composers, Authors and Music Publishers. This license is required for all events regarding music style, whether it be a night club or a live event. The price is determined by the type of establishment or event, how long it is open throughout the year, and capacity. So they pretty much cover their arses when it comes to Music.
    13" MBP | Xone DB2 | Kontrol X1 MK2 | 2 X Denon DN-S3700 | NUmark TTX| NI MASCHINE MK2 | ABLETON PUSH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12