Legal Question - playing out Bootlegs and Reworks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Legal Question - playing out Bootlegs and Reworks

Hey guys
    got a question about playing tracks (especially reworks/bootlegs) in my DJ sets that are not released and nowhere to be bought nor made downloadable by the artist.
    am i allowed to "pirate" tracks like these and play them out? or is that illegal?
    just to be said, i buy all of my tracks or download them from the official artist's soundcloud-accounts or sites, i never play any pirated music.

talking about tracks like for example this:
    https://soundcloud.com/adriatique/major-lazer-get-free

any advice appreciated
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II
    http://www.mixcloud.com/_volpe/

it doesnt add up Volpe
    dont get me wrong but you said you get the tracks from the "Artists sound cloud page"
    and or you buy them from online shops.

If they arent released then yes its a pirate track once you "SEND" it. And by sending it you are either
    broadcasting it
    filesharing it
    passing out a mix with it

the action is basically the song leaving your posession and going elsewhere. (SEND)

but later in your comment youre letting us know you never play any pirated music.
    Again dont get me wrong. Im not trying to call you out but i dont think you understand the legitimacy of playing unreleased music
    or maybe you dont quite get the differance between "unreleased and still legal for use (vs) pirated music"

there actually is a big differance

Since you get it from the artist, then you should ask if you can use it in a mix.

if you get it from an online shop, then yes, its released. It cant be SOLD online unless its authorized to do so and with that, its a release

Tech Mentor

Thanks for your help and sorry about the confusion.
    What i am trying to say is that i get my music either from beatport, traxsource, itunes etc or if it's an unreleased tune i get it directly from the artists soundcloud IF there is a "free download" button. I never use any sites which let sou download tracks from soundcloud that aren't for free download, yet i know it's possible.
    Sometimes i find tunes that cannot be downloaded officialy neither be bought somewhere. I add these tracks to my soundcloud favorites and wait for them to be released. For some reasons this doesn't always happen (like with the track i posted) so i'm asking if it was legal if i WOULD download that track via another source.
    Apparently it's not, so there's not much i can do about it.
    I wrote a msg to the artist on soundcloud, just hoping they will respond now
    Ty again
    Macbook Pro, TP 2.6, 2* Kontrol X1, A&H xone:92, NI Maschine, 2* KRK Rokit 5s, Sennheiser HD 25-II

Yes mate, you can play anything out - most DJs play special edits, bootlegs, live mash-ups or unreleased remixes. Don't worry about it.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Quote Originally Posted by antifmradio View Post
    Since you get it from the artist, then you should ask if you can use it in a mix.

if you get it from an online shop, then yes, its released. It cant be SOLD online unless its authorized to do so and with that, its a release
    This is incorrect - since when does an artist put a free track up on their website/soundcloud/portals and then request every single person that downloads it contact them to ask them if they can play it?

The guy is asking if he can play out free tracks he gets from official pages, which he can.
    13" Macbook Pro i7/8gb/750gb :: Traktor S4 + F1 + Pro 2 :: Allen & Heath DB4 :: Allen & Heath K2 :: Midi Fighter Classic :: Midi Fighter Pro (BM) :: Midi Fighter 3D :: Pioneer RMX1000 :: DJM800 :: 2 xCDJ1000mk3 :: Beats Pro + Beats Studio

Play whatever you want, and never concern yourselves with the legality of it.

Your soul with thank you, and your brain will thank you for not dwelling on such ridiculous thoughts!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Producers put their stuff on soundcloud pages for one reason....FOR DJ'S TO PLAY THE STUFF OUT!!!

Producers want dj's to break in tracks in clubs before the track is released.

Have we forgotten how it works?? Nightclubs pay royalties anyway, so it really doesn't matter, they are paying for you to play whatever you want.

Tech Mentor

Guys i'm not asking if i can play remixes and stuff that i downloaded directly from an artists page, the question is can i play a track thats not released and not for free download and i guess i cant since i would have to "pirate" that track...
    Thanks for your replies anyway

Quote Originally Posted by me
    Play whatever you want, and never concern yourselves with the legality of it.

Your soul with thank you, and your brain will thank you for not dwelling on such ridiculous thoughts!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Volpe View Post
    Guys i'm not asking if i can play remixes and stuff that i downloaded directly from an artists page, the question is can i play a track thats not released and not for free download and i guess i cant since i would have to "pirate" that track...
    Thanks for your replies anyway
    We'll I'm not sure how your getting these tracks then???

If you can download it.....than it's released in some form. Even if it's a bootleg off YouTube.

Electronic music has become a VERY grey area there, which is good for Dj's because no one has a definitive answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast