Why Pioneer before Allen & Heath? - Page 4
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    I want to get a K2 myself... Did you map it yourself or do you use someone else's template?
    I enjoyed mapping it myself. I can't recommend the "Xtrmeme Mapping" app for OSx enough - makes things a lot easier to manage. Got any questions give me a shout.
    The MUSIC is what matters!
    Everything else is _________

Pioneer for me.

Wanted the DB4 but the layout of the EQ knobs and the longer faders put me off a little. But sound quality and effects were a huge pro, the thing that made me go off the DB4 was no Send/Return. I also hate 4 Band EQ from previous A&H mixers i've used on regular basis.

I bought the DJM900 Nexus because it had Send/Return for my RMX1000, Traktor Certified for my vinyl timecode, effects were quite simple, familiar layout and like the fader lengths..

There are many things about A&H mixers that I don't like and drive me crazy. The layout of them, in general, don't make any sense to me. They're OK for basic mixing with just the EQ and faders, but once you go off to the sides of the mixer it's just a hot mess.

Personally, I don't like or need 2-bands of mid EQ. I know they have some of their smaller mixers have single band mid EQ, but still. The extra long faders suck especially with how sharp the volume curve is on the line faders. I'd be less annoyed by this if the volume curve was more of a balanced curve or maybe more linear.

People generally say that A&H mixers are built like tanks, but they have some of the cheapest buttons and knobs I've ever felt on any mixer so I'm a little confused by this statement. Maybe they feel cheap but are still super durable, I don't know.

Every time I use one, I try to see what it is about them that people seem to love so much but I'm just not seeing it.
    MacBook Pro 2.4GHz Core i7 :: Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.10.5
    Traktor Pro 2.9 :: Launchpad :: MIDI Fighter Pro Beatmasher/3D

Quote Originally Posted by No Left Turn View Post
    There are many things about A&H mixers that I don't like and drive me crazy. The layout of them, in general, don't make any sense to me. They're OK for basic mixing with just the EQ and faders, but once you go off to the sides of the mixer it's just a hot mess.

Personally, I don't like or need 2-bands of mid EQ. I know they have some of their smaller mixers have single band mid EQ, but still. The extra long faders suck especially with how sharp the volume curve is on the line faders. I'd be less annoyed by this if the volume curve was more of a balanced curve or maybe more linear.

People generally say that A&H mixers are built like tanks, but they have some of the cheapest buttons and knobs I've ever felt on any mixer so I'm a little confused by this statement. Maybe they feel cheap but are still super durable, I don't know.

Every time I use one, I try to see what it is about them that people seem to love so much but I'm just not seeing it.
    +1

I think they're "cooler" and perhaps do sound "warmer" but actually I just think there are always too many niggles with em. Headphone cue on the 92 is pure annoying and agree 100% with the line fader curve... why isnt it adjustable??

New Pioneer DJM series, particularly the 900 just deliver for me... a bit more "soulless" maybe... but usability, sound quality, and functionality all spot on.
    CLUB OF JACKS - RELEASES >>TRAXSOURCE
    Club of Jacks are a London based House & Garage production / DJ duo with releases on a number of underground labels including Plastik People Recordings, Blockhead Recordings, Hi Energy!, Pocket Jacks Trax, Soul Revolution Records and their own Club of Jacks imprint.

Xone:92 and XoneB4 are not even comparable to lump into a comparison with Pioneer's latest offering in the Nexus line.
    I've owned both and the build quality, work flow between the 92 and DB4 is huge. What kills me is the lack of a proper Send/Return. The built-in FX on the DB4 are fantastic but if I had to purchase again today I'd probably go with the Pioneer for versatility. The DB4 in terms of FX are better suited to long mix TechHouse and Techno. If I still used Traktor on a regular basis for playing out I wouldn't really get too bothered about it. But, since i'm playing CDJ and lug my mixer with me, in addition to the type of music I'm inclined to play for the locals, a Pioneer set up would be mo' bettuh.
    Still, I can't quite bother myself with selling the A&H just yet.

Are the line fader curves on the Xone 22 similar to a 92?? On my 22 they aren't sharp at all, they're about the same as any 900 I've felt but a tad bit longer, which works for me since I introduce my tracks slowly as I mix….

Tech Guru

Much prefer the Xone faders

Tech Guru

Personally I prefer A&H, why? The sound quality, they've got that warmth, they're filters are beaut.
    At the end of the day though, it's all down to personal preference, I think genre you play also plays a huge part.

I play House and Techno, for me all I want is good eq's, nice line faders and filter, A&H deliver all of those.

At home I use a Xone 22, my mate has a Xone 4D, have played on a 92, 46, 32, to be honest love them all.

I have played a lot on pioneers, although not the new nexus line, so won't comment on them. But to be honest I've never been a massive fan, not overly keen on the eq's, filters, for me A&H sound better.
    Technics 1210 MK2 x 2 / A&H Xone:22 / Shure M35S / Urbanears Zinken / Mukatsuku Record Weights x 2 / Vinyl
    iMac / Ableton Live 8 / Reason / Akai EIE Pro / Adam A5x / Boss BX 800 / Soundcraft EPM6 / MFB 522 / Korg Monotribe / Maschine Mikro MK1 / NI Kontrol X1 MK1 / Akai APC 20 / Novation Remote 25sl Compact

Jebus Christ I'm bored of A&H v. Pioneer.

It is EVEN MORE BORING than Mac v. Win.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Allen & Heath vs Pioneer:

From a Sound Engineers perspective;

Allen & Heath are all analogue based apart from the DB2 and DB4
    Pioneer for the same reason as the DB2 & DB4 are all digital as they use digital effects and need to convert before processing

The AD/DA converters in Allen & Heath DB2 & DB4 are much better than those in Pioneer mixers as they are derived from the iLive series of pro mixing desks

The effects in the DB2 & DB4 are better sounding than the Pioneers as again they are derived from the iLive's + extras specfic to DJ'ing

For all intents and purposes it is practically impossible to clip an Allen & Heath and even when pushed hard they retain their 'openness' and have a 'warm' sound

Pioneer sound f**king awful when driven hard. The sound closes up and detail turns to mush

From a Repair Tech's perspective;

Allen & Heath are fully repairable down to component level if needed and are constructed using modular boards (ie you can swap a single channel strip if needed without much effort)

Pioneer are all surface mount components which are a pain to repair to component level. Board swapping is possible but if a channel goes down you have to swap a full board which does all the channels on the mixer.

Early Pioneers are essentially bin-able items if they go wrong

From a DJ's perspective;

4 eq's gives you more control over the sound but can be a pain if you like to quickly swap the basslines over

If you don't use Traktor and need effects Pioneer give a cheaper means of getting them with their entry level mixers but A&H sound much better at the higher end

If you need connectivity to CDJ's and Recordbox then Pioneer obviously offer this

If you scratch the Allen & Heath xfader is much better

In summary;

Unless you cannot afford the higher end but need an FX unit Allen & Heath crap all over Pioneer

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast