Powered USB hubs and audio quality - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by pbcrazy9898 View Post
    I have a powered USB hub that doesn't work very well. When I run audio through it I can hear it hiccup or something. Like the latency is too low, which it isn't. I would run the audio out straight from my USB port on my computer but then I wouldn't be able to connect anything else.
    Have any of you run into this problem?
    Will this happen to any USB hub or am I safe buying a different one?
    Any suggestions?
    I usually run my audio directly and use the MIDI through a USB hub. USB 3.0 ports might work better for you now. But will need make sure you PC runs USB 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    This keeps coming up, and I don't know what the answer is.

As a community, we MUST have a favourite MTT hub? Anyone have any idea what it is? And what a reasonable price for one is? And if a 4-port hub is more stable than a 7-port hub? (I use a 7 port powered hub that I got off eBay - I need a 7 port hub because I plug external HD's, and a mouse, and a keybaord into my laptop, before I've even plugged in any AI's or midi controllers).

Also - can you use MORE than 1 MTT hub at a time? I'd like a 4 port hub for non-audio stuff, and a 4 or 7-port hub for music stuff.
    I doubt there's much of a difference between a 4-port and a 7-port, if you plugged the same 4 items into a 4 port and a 7 port I don't think there would be much difference. Obviously plugging 7 items in will probably make things a bit worse, but I guess it depends what you're plugging in. A mouse and a keyboard aren't gonna make much difference, but 3 hard drives, 2 midi controllers and a soundcard would.

I see no reason why you couldn't use more than 1 hub at a time.

I personally use a powered 10 way hub I got from Maplins. No idea of the make (it's not a well known one like Belkin or anything), and I only use at max 5 of the sockets anyway, but most of the time it's just 3 (DMX dongle, Xone:K2 and a wireless mouse). Has worked perfectly for me so far, but then I'm not sending massive amounts of data through it.
    Last edited by robdquick; 11-14-2013 at 03:17 AM.
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Tech Wizard

I have some no named brand 7 port powered hub that works well and i use it with hard drives and midi controlers (dicers, x1, ipad but not all at once)

i also have the beatport non-powered hub that i have run the same things plus CDJ2000s in hid and never had a problem with.

Tech Mentor

USB PCI-E card into thunderbolt enclosure to thunderbolt...

0 bandwidth issues, low latency link, powered

Tech Guru

For those who want to understand the difference between a multi-TT and single-TT hub, this is still a great reference - http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ology,677.html

As for recommended hubs, I still use and recommend the old 7 port Cables Unlimited hub. That hub isn't available under the Cables unlimited brand anymore, but it's still available through several other brands (it's an OEM product). http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-7-PORT.../dp/B004Y35DRE

I've also used this smaller hub in several projects and have no complaints. It's easy to hide, it can be taken apart and placed into other devices, and performs well. http://www.amazon.com/USB-Ports-Mult.../dp/B004AXAZU8

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by nem0nic View Post
    As for recommended hubs, I still use and recommend the old 7 port Cables Unlimited hub. That hub isn't available under the Cables unlimited brand anymore, but it's still available through several other brands (it's an OEM product). http://www.amazon.com/USB-2-0-7-PORT.../dp/B004Y35DRE
    THIS - have five of these with no problems at all.

Tech Guru

So there's nothing you can buy from Amazon UK for example? The only option is to buy generic OEM hubs imported from the US?
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Quote Originally Posted by frankle View Post
    Back to some simple fault finding ...

Plug in your hub, and your audio device ... Does it fault? If yes, find another hub or audio device, if no, plug in your next item ... Continue till the issues occur.

Also, your sig says "MBP" ... From memory they have at least 2 USB ports, what's in the other one? Try using 1 for your audio device and the other with hub and everything else?
    Hahaha I was about to post the same thing til I saw yours. I have a hub and have never had a problem. I put my soundcard on it's own dedicated USB port, and then route all of the other devices (X1, CDJs, etc) through the hub.

So what is connected to the other USB port?

Tech Convert

Would be good to have a roundup of powered USB hubs, splitting it into two groups:

- For hanging on soundcards
    - for hanging on multiple controllers without soundcard.

Tech Guru

These two are working nicely with 2x CDJ 2000s, DJM 900 (sound card), and an X1. Even without the hub power supply.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005GLDAVE
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002AFZVM
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast