Powered USB hubs and audio quality
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Powered USB hubs and audio quality

I have a powered USB hub that doesn't work very well. When I run audio through it I can hear it hiccup or something. Like the latency is too low, which it isn't. I would run the audio out straight from my USB port on my computer but then I wouldn't be able to connect anything else.
    Have any of you run into this problem?
    Will this happen to any USB hub or am I safe buying a different one?
    Any suggestions?

Tech Guru

I use this mini hub for my CDJs and haven't had any audio issues
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-4-Por.../dp/B005GLDAVE

Otherwise, this powered hub seems to be the most popular for DJing use
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/D-Link-DUB-H.../dp/B0002AFZVM
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Tech Wizard

keep in mind that using a USB hub means you are sharing the total bandwidth of what would normally be used by only one port with whatever you have hooked into it. Audio interfaces need a lot of bandwidth to function properly, so a different hub probably won't help you. If you can, plug your audio interface into a port directly on your computer, and use the other port to connect a hub for whatever else you need.

Tech Wizard

Once it is USB 2.0 and powered, there is only one consideration - is it MTT (Multiple Transaction Translator) or STT? You want MTT, but most hubs are not MTT. Google it and you will find more about why.

Tech Guru

MTT is only significant if you are using USB 1.1 devices
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    yes, and there are widely used MIDI and audio devices that are USB 1.1 - Novation Dicers and Rane SL1 for example

Back to some simple fault finding ...

Plug in your hub, and your audio device ... Does it fault? If yes, find another hub or audio device, if no, plug in your next item ... Continue till the issues occur.

Also, your sig says "MBP" ... From memory they have at least 2 USB ports, what's in the other one? Try using 1 for your audio device and the other with hub and everything else?

Oh yeah, I've got 2 of these now, 1 for each residency with a specific set of USB cables the right length:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Premi.../dp/B000RZUV9S

Friday night I have the following plugged in:
    2 x X1mk2, 1 x F1, TA10 (or Fireface UC)

Saturday night:
    2 x X1mk2, 1 x F1, DJM850

I have absolutely no issues running Traktor at 48k, 192 samples latency on my MacBook Air, and I use the hub without the power supply.
    Last edited by frankle; 11-13-2013 at 04:24 AM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by makar1 View Post
    Let me add to what tunecrew said. The other good thing about getting a Multi-TT hub is that it's less likely to be a shit product. If the manufacturer has dedicated to using a TT chip for every port instead of going with the cheapest possible solution, chances are good that they didn't skimp in other areas as well. For all the talk about them in the audio world, the reality is that most customers don't know a TT from a hole in the wall, and Multi-TT hubs are a fairly niche product. So when someone builds one, it's generally a nod to quality.

Tech Guru

Do you know of any Multi-TT hubs coming from reputable companies (+retailers) that have decent build quality?

This keeps coming up, and I don't know what the answer is.

As a community, we MUST have a favourite MTT hub? Anyone have any idea what it is? And what a reasonable price for one is? And if a 4-port hub is more stable than a 7-port hub? (I use a 7 port powered hub that I got off eBay - I need a 7 port hub because I plug external HD's, and a mouse, and a keybaord into my laptop, before I've even plugged in any AI's or midi controllers).

Also - can you use MORE than 1 MTT hub at a time? I'd like a 4 port hub for non-audio stuff, and a 4 or 7-port hub for music stuff.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast