Official Headphone Question & Discussion Thread - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    I'd be interested in this too... they look nice.
    Completely depends on your needs -

• They are open headphones so will let in the sound, no good for DJ or Live use.
    • You will need a headphone amp or high output DAC as the impedance is extremely high, some DJ mixers and controllers wont be able to handle them.
    • Genuinely these are audiophile and production headphones through and through and not suitable for DJ'ing (except at home)

The Sony's mentioned above aren't much cheaper either.
    The Beyerdynamics are more than twice the price of the Sonys.

So is it safe to say that you want closed for DJing and open for producing?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by daviedavedave View Post
    So is it safe to say that you want closed for DJing and open for producing?
    Depends. For tracking an instrument or singing closed back can be good because it isolates better, especially in a live environment or in a studio with music playing. Some closed back can also put out deep low frequencies which can be a benefit when monitoring sub bass if you don't have a sub.

Open back can give you a better stereo image and less over hyped frequency's which is good for mixing. That being said the thought is that for best results you should be using monitors rather than headphones regardless.

Closed back definitely for DJ'ing though. Isolation is key.
    2x Technics sl 1200mk2, Vinyl, Shure m44-7, Xone 22, Audio Technica ATH M50X, Traktor A10, Maschine, Logic X, Ableton Live.

Just commenting that I'm still using my HD-25s that I got as a gift in February of 2006. They were the only thing (other than me) to survive a very serious car wreck in 2007 (which killed my laptop, iPod, and basically everything else breakable that was in the same bag with them). We actually retrieved them from the wrecked car after we found it in the junk yard it was taken to before it got crushed into a cube. All they needed was a new headband, which I think Senn sent me for free after I told them what happened.

Right now, I'm using my MDR-7506s because they're more comfortable and balanced for just listening, and because I watched a Sasha set video earlier.

I've tired them against TMA-1s, used to own HDJ-whatevers, and played with several others. My money goes to HD-25s and MDR-7506/V6s, and if either gets discontinued, I'll buy a small pile if I hear about it in time.

Quote Originally Posted by mostapha View Post
    Just commenting that I'm still using my HD-25s that I got as a gift in February of 2006.
    My apologies upfront for not contributing to the current discussion as such.

I didn't know much about HD 25s as the last set of heaphones I had lasted me more than 10 years and I paid less than $20 (Rand equivalent) for them. A set of limited edition Pro.2 headphones.

I got a huge shock when I was in the market for headphones again, with nothing reasonable under $200, as I started browsing forums I saw HD 25s constantly being pushed as the headphone of choice, after some desktop research I was convinced.

The nice thing for me about these headphones is that you can probably buy them second hand because of the parts replacements, and thats exactly what I did and last week I picked up a set of Adidas Originals (not sure if the marketing gimmick is frowned upon here ) for about $200.

I haven't used it intensely and will probably only use it for my home setup, but so far I'm pretty impressed with it.

Marketing gimmick? Idk, I like the blue....not enough to replace mine, but I like them.

I have been beating on some v moda lp2s for lime 2 years now. Still have not been able to break them.

Last year on new years eve the best buy by me had some tma 1s on sale for 70% off. I couldnt pass it up for the price. They sat on my computer desk and were used exclusively there for 2 weeks before the left speaker went out. Never used anywhere but the desk and never dropped. After doing some research I saw a lot of people having problems with poor quality.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

My money goes to HD-25s and MDR-7506/V6s, and if either gets discontinued, I'll buy a small pile if I hear about it in time.
    Amazon are doing the 7506's for $85 inc. free shipping currently

VMinnovations are still doing the hd25 Amperiors for $140 (refurb) or $166 (new)
    Last edited by deevey; 10-14-2014 at 05:23 PM.

Tech Mentor

I've had my HD-25s since maybe 2002 if not longer, still flawless although they are dangerously loud..

Tech Guru

Absolutely love my Amperiors. So sad when I dropped them and scratched them a bit.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast