Traktor S2 mk1 vs Z1 and X1 mk2
    Tech Convert

Default Traktor S2 mk1 vs Z1 and X1 mk2

Hey all, big beginners question but I want to buy my first set-up as a hobby and maybe play some house parties/make mixes. The original S2 can be had on Amazon for $300. The alternative is going with a modular set-up of the Z1/X1 mk2 which would run me around $350. Is there anything the Z1/X1 set up can't do that the S2 can? Any advantage to the Z1/X1 setup outside of less footprint (size?)

Tech Wizard

Well S2 has jogs and pitch faders and Z1/X1 setup doesn't, whereas Z1 has dedicated filter knobs and S2 doesn't. X1 has touchstrip to mess around with, but... Yeah. There are no big differences between those, but you get a bit more audio connections out of S2 if I recall correctly. If you're going to play outside your house a lot, then maybe modular is a bit easier to carry around, and modular of course makes expanding your setup easier (and by that I mean RGAS). And you can use Z1 with iPad if you happen to have one.

When it comes to the units themselves... I have X1 Mk2 and I'm loving it to pieces In fact my setup is modular (MM-1 + X1 + F1) and it suits me, but before that I had all-in-one controller (Numark Mixtrack) which was good way to practice the basics of DJing. I don't have any experience on S2 though, but I've heard it's solid piece of equipment although a bit plastic-y.

It's pretty much up to personal preference. Personally I wouldn't switch away from modular anymore, but all-in-one was perfect for me when I started and didn't know exactly what I wanted. So probably S2 is a bit safer bet
    CMD MM-1 - CMD PL-1 - Traktor Kontrol X1 Mk2 - Traktor Kontrol F1 - NI Komplete Audio 6/Traktor Audio 2 Mk2
    My setup history
    Mixcloud page

Tech Convert

Interesting, and great feedback. I appreciate your thoughts. Was there a reason you went with the CMD MM-1 over the Z1? The Z1 has a soundcard and can work with ipads/iphones if needed but the MM1 has the 4 decks and powered USB Hub. If I went MM1, I would have to factor in also getting an audio interface right?

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by qngo01 View Post
    Interesting, and great feedback. I appreciate your thoughts. Was there a reason you went with the CMD MM-1 over the Z1? The Z1 has a soundcard and can work with ipads/iphones if needed but the MM1 has the 4 decks and powered USB Hub. If I went MM1, I would have to factor in also getting an audio interface right?
    As an X1+Z1 owner I recommend the S2.

Simply because its the training wheel midi controller. Once you've outgrown it then maybe think of X1+Z1

before you decide to purchase away, I strongly advise you to go to a local dj store and check out the items. feel the jogs on the s2 or the touchstrip of the x1 mk 2.

have you read this post in the blog: http://www.djtechtools.com/2012/08/0...ar-dj-set-ups/

maybe it would help you clarify your decision with s2 or x1/z1.
    I was on an all-in-one controller (denon mc2000) sold it, now has a x1 mk1 and djtech Dif1S and a turntable.

good luck!
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by qngo01 View Post
    Well my style is 2 track decks + 1 remix deck and I wanted full mixer channel controls for the remix deck, I already had proper audio interface and needed powered USB hub so MM-1 was better for me than Z1, and I don't have iPad/iPhone. And, since I already had audio interface, MM-1 was cheaper to get than Z1.

MM-1 also offers me the possibility to add in another X1 (for example) to get 4 deck controls if I wanted
    CMD MM-1 - CMD PL-1 - Traktor Kontrol X1 Mk2 - Traktor Kontrol F1 - NI Komplete Audio 6/Traktor Audio 2 Mk2
    My setup history
    Mixcloud page

Tech Convert

That's a great article. I haven't seen it so thanks for sending. It does answer a lot!

Tech Convert

The cost does build up a bit for modular, esp with needing an audio interface. Sounds like the $300 S2 is the way to go if I want to start out as a hobby. Thanks again for the input

actually, the z1 already has an audio interface, though it is only output. so if you want to get a real mixer, cdjs/TT you need audio 4/6/8/10. so for the time being, use an s2 and see where you want to head to.
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Default Cmd-mm1

Was an looking into the MM-1 as a controller mixer for a D2 and an F1.

It just seems odd to me that there isn't another higher quality 4 channel mixer solution — especially from NI.

Does anyone know of some other solution?

I have an apogee duet sound card and don't like/need jog wheels and the room they take up.