Dicers. Beat Gridding. Mapping??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

nope, but assuming it has a hard shift like all the other reloop controlers of the same generation, you could still map in a soft shift that is triggered in the hard shift layer to change the functionality of the encoders and a few buttons, hopefully that is understandable... it was getting a little inception for a minute there LOL
    Why did the elephant get lost... Cause the Jungle is MASSIVE!

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c View Post
    nope, but assuming it has a hard shift like all the other reloop controlers of the same generation, you could still map in a soft shift that is triggered in the hard shift layer to change the functionality of the encoders and a few buttons, hopefully that is understandable... it was getting a little inception for a minute there LOL
    Yup reloop and pioneer both do keep shift button coded in firmware. I thought you said once that you're getting zomo - would be nice if somebody would help good old Patch and create him some Traktor mappings.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Breakbeat, Drum and Bass, Hip-Hop, Ghetto Funk, Reggae, Funk, Soul, Rock, Ska...

I wouldn't trust autogrid. I never trusted autowarp in Ableton, and I want to get into the habit of griding a track once, properly.
    Ahh I see, autogrid has definitely improved for genres like hip-hop and DnB but I find a common issue you'll run into still is Traktor either doubling the BPM (so a 90 bpm hip hop track would go to 180 BPM) or Traktor will still sometimes put grids half a beat off.

no money to buy one unfortunately, And I don't really need it, I have my VCI-400 wedged between my decks and that has more than enough controls, I just wish I had full control of the leds on both layers but ah well you cant have it all

Thanks for all of your help so far, guys.

I really should update Traktor - but I've got a stable, running version with great timecode functionality. And I know NOT TO fuck about with software when it's working well (if it ain't broke, don't fix it..!)

Stewe - I'll crack open my active mapping and try to implement some of your suggestions from your earlier post! Thanks for investigating this for me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by synthet1c
    wouldn't it be better to use the zomo under a shift for griding as you would get encoders that could make it really easy, I was thinking of your concept for this and figure to get all the functionality you require you would need to sacrifice two buttons to give you three of four shifts, but that has the problem of leaving you with only three buttons, but two of them have to increment and decrement values, which isn't ideal as you might get confused. eg.

Attachment 20712
    Do you mean using one of the encoders on the Zomo for beatjumping to the end of a track, but ONLY when I have a shift engaged on the Dicer? That's interesting... (And even more confusing for my little brain! ) Also - is that diagram definitely correct? One of the shift explanations seems wrong to me (3rd shift appears twice?)

[Also - I can't recommend the Zomo MC-1000 enough. It's an awesome controller. The only gripe (and it doesn't bother me because I have Dicers!) is that there are only 3 cue buttons. An odd number for cues..? I use my Zomo mostly for navigation and looping].

I really love the way you guys have helped - I just wish there was a better explanation somewhere on HOW mappings (incl. modifiers and shifts, etc...) actually work in Traktor, so that I could help myself a little more. I'm TERRIBLE at trial and error type learning, and it feels like that's the only real way to become a mapping ninja...
    Last edited by Patch; 11-15-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

yes it would be better if you mapped the encoders to move through the track and also move your grid so you can place it easier. What I was suggesting is you set a shift in the software to be able to modify your grids

the idea is that if you have two buttons, you can use two buttons to make a total four shifts if you use a little "if" logic that is used in computer programming, the basic idea is

if you press the first shift button you will activate M3=1 while held

if you press the second shift button you will activate M3=2 while held

if you are already holding the first button down and press the second button you will activate M3=3

if you wanted to have a fourth shift you could make it so if you hold button two then press button one you activate M3=4, but I just kept it the same as the third condition so it doesn't matter which order you press them, you will always activate M3=3 if you press both buttons.

I have only played with traktor for about a week so I'm sure there is more to it, but basically when you set a shift you are setting a modifier up in the software, for example if you do the following

Add In -> Modifier #1 -> type('button') -> interaction('hold') -> value(1);

that will give you a button that will set M1=1 while you have the button pressed in, then it will return to M1=0 when released. It's exactly the same as what I was describing above, but this uses a different modifier out of the eight available.

Now that you have a shift you can use it as a condition to perform actions by the dropdowns next to "Modifier Conditions", they are paired into "modifier" and "value". A condition is saying if the condition is true then perform the command you have mapped eg if M1=1 then do the command, there is no "else" so you have to enter a new command where the condition would me M1=0.

What that means is that you need to map every control twice with different commands and have the shifted controls "Modifier Condition" M1=1 and anything that is unshifted you can have the "Modifier Condition" M1=0, but you don't really need that as it's implied. Hopefully that explains it a little. but you are correct, the only way to really learn is to do it until it clicks in your head.

If you want to attempt it yourself you will want to use a toggling shift that goes from 0 to 1 and back again. I couldn't see any way to do it natively, but you just need the use the conditions I have been talking about and map the same button with the two commands below.

Add In -> Modifier #1 -> condition('M1=0') -> type('button') -> interaction('direct') -> value(1);
    Add In -> Modifier #1 -> condition('M1=1') -> type('button') -> interaction('direct') -> value(0);

the logic for the two buttons having three shifts is

Button one
    Add In -> Modifier #3 -> condition('M3=0') -> type('button') -> interaction('hold') -> value(1);
    Add In -> Modifier #3 -> condition('M3=2') -> type('button') -> interaction('hold') -> value(3);
    Add out -> Modifier #3 -> range(Min=1, Max=1);
    Add out -> Modifier #3 -> range(Min=3, Max=3);

Button two
    Add In -> Modifier #3 -> condition('M3=0') -> type('button') -> interaction('hold') -> value(2);
    Add In -> Modifier #3 -> condition('M3=1') -> type('button') -> interaction('hold') -> value(3);
    Add out -> Modifier #3 -> range(Min=2, Max=2);
    Add out -> Modifier #3 -> range(Min=3, Max=3);

the syntax I have used is similar to functions, basically I want you to look for the dropdown and choose whatever is in the brackets eg. dropdown('setting'). It will hopefully become obvious when you have a look though.
    Last edited by synthet1c; 11-15-2013 at 05:53 PM.

Hey - thanks synthet1c! Now you're talking my language (I actually understand IF's and ELSE's from my Excel days!)

This is exactly the kind of plain english description of mapping functions that is MISSING from the manual!

Thanks for taking the time to type that out. It has helped a lot!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

no worries Pat, any time maing

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12