Mixing old school with new school gear

Default Mixing old school with new school gear

The VCI400 SE is working fine, all midi controls, check (pressed shift to make sure everything physical matches everything digital, 'gratify' effects, check. As far as I know, it's all good... except for one fucking thing! Once I set the pitch control (now, apparently, known as the tempo fader), unless I hold down the shift button on my contoller, the fucker only moves about 2%, even when I move the control all the way up or down. I Have changed the settings in Traktor, Preferences> Transport > Tempo and tempo bend (range @ 8%, Bend @ 100%) and it has made no difference. Please, can someone give me a reason why I shouldn't just go back to my trusty 1200s... Cheers.

Just go back to the 1200's, they'll take care of you.
    Pioneer DJM 700 / Traktor Kontrol X1 / 2 x Technics SL1200MK5 / Traktor Scratch Pro 2.6.7 / Ortofon Concorde Nightclub MK1
    Audio 8 DJ / Sennheiser HD 25-1 II / Magma Traveler / IsoAcoustics ISO-L8R155 / KRK RP6 G2 / Vinyl

Are you in relative or absolute mode? In absolute your software Tempo Fader matches the hardware one. If the software fader and the hardware aren't in the same position, as soon as you move the fader the tempo will jump to the hardware fader's position. When in relative, the hardware fader controls the software fader where ever it may be positioned. No jump. But the two will not be in the same position.

It may be mapped like the S4. On the S4 I have the same settings you listed above and I use relative mode. On the S4, to change the position of the (hardware)Tempo Fader with out moving it in the software, you press shift and move the (hardware) fader without affecting the actual tempo. This allows for a lot of movement as you can move the hardware fader it's full range, then move it back to the top and engage it again to go another full range.

Also it may be the way the mapping for the 400 is made. Check the mapping's documentation if you haven't yet.

Found this on the SE map sticky in the VCI-400 sub forum.

For now, after loading the mapping you want to move most knobs and faders to reset them correctly. You will also want to press Shift+Tempo Fader middle position (where the red light turns on) for each Tempo fader upon starting up Traktor. This will properly set the tempo range to +-8% (instead of 0% to 16%). This occurs because the default Tempo command is a relative command with a total range of 16%. Shift+ the Tempo fader is a direct Tempo fader command with a range of +-50%. This range can be changed in the Transport section of Preferences.

Mixamitosis: please watch your language. The first time I read your post I thought "did I write this?" - that's never a good thing...
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.

Quote Originally Posted by smiTTTen View Post
    Mixamitosis: please watch your language. The first time I read your post I thought "did I write this?" - that's never a good thing...
    Bahahaha. You being the "swear jar" police. Too too funny.

That's like a pimp being on the vice squad.

Shut it. I are talk nice.
    Beats By Dre is like audio flu for your balls.