Wanting to start mixing.. (on a tight budget)

Default Wanting to start mixing.. (on a tight budget)

Afternoon folks, I've read tons and tons of threads on this forum, the wealth of information on here is amazing. But I must admit it's only made me more confused!

Basically I want to try my hand at mixing, I've been involved with music production as a hobby for the past 10 years so I'm not completely new (in fact I've got the concept of mixing down relatively well in the past couple of weeks messing about on Traktor).. My next step is figuring out which controller to buy

I'm looking for something that has a built in audio interface, I have a decent soundcard on my main pc but I plan on using it with 3 different pc's so I'll need the headphone monitoring out on it. I'll be very honest, I will be mixing using cue points and sync so a jogwheel isn't neccessary but they all seem to have that so it looks like a must.

So far it looks like the Numark Mixtrack Pro II is perfect (in terms of functionality and cost), but I was just wondering if there's anything else I'm missing?

Also, since I'd be using cue points I had considered a Traktor Kontrol Z1 and Launchpad mini combo (since I'd also be able to use the launchpad in Fl Studio).. Are there any downsides to something like this?

Tech Wizard

How many channels are you looking for ?! you could pick up the z1 for two channels, or something like the Xone K2 or the Behringer MM-1 (you'll need an external audio interface with the MM1 I believe). as for your transport controls and cue points, you could go with an X1 Mk1 or mk2, Reloop Contour, or the Behringer Pl-1. Theres a bunch of options with the modular stuff, you can pretty much mix and match any of those. If you're set on an all in one controller with everything including an audio interface on a budget, the mixtrack is a good option, theres also the cmd studio 4a or the new DDJ-SB by pionner (Comes with serato intro, but im sure there will be a traktor mapping)

Anyways hope this helps with atleast some of the options

Tech Guru

Jog wheels aren't a must.

I only use the jog wheel to do cue points and beatgridding honestly. Otherwise I can get by just fine with something like an X1.

I personally like modular setups so Z1 would get my vote, but I'd honestly think you're better off getting a cheap DJM600 or Denon X1500 mixer instead.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

We've just been talking about this in MDC's "Apologies" thread.

ZOMO MC-1000 (built-in 4 STEREO channel audio interface) and a LP Mini would be an AWESOME set-up. Add in your choice of 4-channel mixer and you are golden. Although, you could probably use a page on the LP mini for volume/eq if you don't want a mixer.

The ONE gripe I have with the MC-1000 is that it only has 3 buttons for Hotcues. A LP mini would MORE than make up for that lack of buttons!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

i think you need to start basic, considering your just starting out.

this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Software.html is most peoples starting point

I bought Numark Mixtrack Pro I almost 3 years ago. It is excellent for novice/beginner use and even for more advanced DJs. Not sure what the Mixtrack Pro II is like, however, I would say it probably has pretty much the same functions as the the first generation of the Mixtrack Pro series. If you like, I can 'teach you the ways' so to speak. Learning the techniques on how to mix and also the business. All over Skype. Just message me on Facebook if you are interested, and to any other newbies reading this post, feel free to message me too. Bless.

My Facebook: Daily Crisis Facebook Page. Newbies message me!

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Thanks for the advice guys. A modular setup is a great concept but the cost seems a lot more. I think I'm gonna have a look at some reviews for the behringer 4a as that looks very similar to the numark.