Deep House/ House scene in Perth, Australia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Deep House/ House scene in Perth, Australia

I was wondering if there is a current Deep House scene in Australia, I see a few nightclubs play some deep, but I was thinking more of an underground scene where Djs just meet up and play, somewhat like Boiler Room on youtube. Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by danielriosrendon View Post
    I was wondering if there is a current Deep House scene in Australia, I see a few nightclubs play some deep, but I was thinking more of an underground scene where Djs just meet up and play, somewhat like Boiler Room on youtube. Anyone know?
    They have clubs and DJs. Not so sure about Perth but Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney etc all have thriving house scenes. Some bigger then others. If you want to get gigs it's pretty damn competitive though, you'd need to spend some time getting in with the right people.

What do you mean by Boiler Room? That's just a series of live events around the world, they were in Australia 12 months ago.

This site is good http://www.inthemix.com.au/whatson/perth

Wanklemut, Art Department and Jaques Lu Cont all coming up in November alone.

Tech Wizard

Yea I've seen that Djs here are not that keen to share the stage, this is why i was asking if someone has set up something similar to a boiler room here in Perth, but if not it could be a project to start working on.

Quote Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

Wanklemut, Art Department and Jaques Lu Cont all coming up in November alone.
    Yea Jacques Lu Cont and Art Department are bound to be sick, but I know the venue that they will play at will not fill up and people dont really groove to the music, which makes the experience pretty shitty. (but dont get me wrong im still going :P)

Yea I've seen that Djs here are not that keen to share the stage, this is why i was asking if someone has set up something similar to a boiler room here in Perth, but if not it could be a project to start working on.
    Boiler Room is generally for big name DJs who are invited. It's not really a free for all open decks type thing.

Most cities have open decks nights, generally week nights, but not usually very 'electronic'.

Tech Wizard

Boiler Room is generally for big name DJs who are invited. It's not really a free for all open decks type thing.

Most cities have open decks nights, generally week nights, but not usually very 'electronic'.
    Yea, true. I guess ill have to start by finding a full on house/deep house venue. All I hear is fucking Trap and commercial EDM.

Yea, true. I guess ill have to start by finding a full on house/deep house venue. All I hear is fucking Trap and commercial EDM.
    You're in Perth. You ain't gonna find much outside of the odd club night (like the ones I mentioned) or when the festivals tour although I could be wrong, keep an eye on local forums and Facebook. I'm originally from Adelaide (in Melbourne now though), and that's the same, though getting much much better in recent years.

If you're keen on a more vibrant and busy scene, Melbourne or Sydney are the places to go. Melbourne especially. It's awesome.
    Last edited by shr3dder; 11-18-2013 at 11:45 PM.

Geisha nightclub in Northbridge is the best deep house night in Perth at the minute. I've seen Jody Wisternoff, Claptone and Finnebassen all there recently and Todd Terry is coming in December. A lot of the well known bars are way more commercial but there are a few that are willing to offer a deeper sound. It's extremely difficult to get a gig from what ive heard so be prepared to spend some time getting to know the right people.
    MacBook Pro, HD25's, Midi-Fighter Classic, Pioneer DDJ-RX , Rekordbox

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by kooper1980 View Post
    Geisha nightclub in Northbridge is the best deep house night in Perth at the minute. I've seen Jody Wisternoff, Claptone and Finnebassen all there recently and Todd Terry is coming in December. A lot of the well known bars are way more commercial but there are a few that are willing to offer a deeper sound. It's extremely difficult to get a gig from what ive heard so be prepared to spend some time getting to know the right people.
    Thanks man. Do promo mixtapes get you booked easily in Perth, what have you tried? have you had any luck?

Tech Wizard

If you're keen on a more vibrant and busy scene, Melbourne or Sydney are the places to go. Melbourne especially. It's awesome.
    I know Melbourne is where its at, but right now im in the middle of my studies. So once im done I'm definitely hitting up Melbourne.

Thanks man. Do promo mixtapes get you booked easily in Perth, what have you tried? have you had any luck?
    If it's anything like the rest of Aus (which I'm pretty confident it is) mixes really don't help at all. It's all networking and making the right friends. Most promoters won't even listen to mixes if they don't know who you are

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast