Teaching novice DJs 'the ways' - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

He shouldn't have to justify how qualified he is to help people.

If he wants to share, he can.

Good on him, I say.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    Pretty sweet if this is free!
    Yes 110% free, no bullshit included.

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Have a large glass of water and a wank. Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by jayo View Post
    No offence, but aren't you 16??? Have you ever played in a club or done a rave? Have you ever negotiated the terms of an evening/event? Have you even bought your own gear? If you can answer yes to all of these questions then I apologize. But if you can't, then I don't know how much you can offer "NEW" DJ's.
    Yes, I am indeed 16. Although Martin Garrix is only 17 and he is massive at the moment. I am not teaching people how to headline festivals, how to organise raves. I am just teaching the novices the ropes of the basic DJ. Extremely basic beginner stuff. And also, yes, I have earned money through working and purchased my DJing gear.

Quote Originally Posted by dripstep View Post
    What kind of things will you be teaching? Lessons, tutorials? What topics can questions be asked on? Turntables, cdjs, controllers? Will you be able to teach about promoting a night, or finding college/house parties?
    I actually made a thread a while back asking how to find/get house parties which includes a lot of answers. And I will teach everything that my knowledge holds . However, like everyone, I don't know everything. I don't have any experience in promoting a night so that is not one of my strong points. And you can ask me anything

Good on ya, mate. I like your style.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I was djing for a year when I started teaching a friend how to mix. I had Beatmatching and phrasing down, and he couldn't do it to save his life. A few lessons on what to do/listen for, and he can now beatmatch. Big ups for putting your neck out there, haters gonna hate. If you haven't learned something that you can pass on in the last 3 years, you should quit. If you have, teach it to anyone that is willing to learn. Teaching something only makes you better at it.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

DJTT Moderator bloke Karlos Santos's Avatar

Ok more posts deleted.

Stop discussing the merits of this thread. It's done.

For once, contribute or leave the thread alone.

I recently was asked to teach someone how to DJ. I started to noodle and write things down that I should cover. Some of what I came up with. (in order also)

Day 1

1. Set up and basic signal routing
    2. Beat matching on CDJs (which includes dropping tracks on beat and manual beat matching)
    3. theory of song structure, phrasing and basic setting of cue points and loading tracks
    4. sit and drink his beer, point and grunt and fix his mistakes and answer questions.

Day 2
    1. intro to controllers and basic functions
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I went to med school, and the motto about learning medical procedures was always "see one, do one, teach one." Teaching really is the most effective way to understand fully what you've recently learned. Having to answer someone else' questions means you've completely grasped the concepts and can properly and articulately convey them to someone else. In almost every field, slightly more experienced students are teaching less experienced students. If it's an effective method for training physicians/surgeons, PHDs, athletes, etc why would it be any different for DJing?

Quote Originally Posted by JesusJuice View Post
    3 years of experience and dude is saying he is a seasoned vet willing to teach newbs?

brotha you are a rookie yourself, and that is the main problem with the dj community. kids like you who think they have experience are the cats undercutting the real movers and shakers who have skills because you will do the even for a fraction of the price.

yes i understand you may have talent, and yes i understand everyone has got to start somewhere, but you arent nearly as experienced as you think you really are. i've had so many promoters tell me i ask for too much but call me at 11pm begging me to headline because the kid with 3 years of experience who said he'd do the gig for 25 bucks sucks garbage and people are leaving...

i dont mean to be a dick but "3 years" is nothing in dj world... thats just my honest opinion. i understand your feeling to want to give back to the wonderful community we have but you dont have much to give.... idk maybe im wrong but hey.... wouldnt be the first time
    Indeed I am a rookie, but let's all jump on the learning boat

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast