Trying to manage music. Help!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Schalenberg

Default Trying to manage music. Help!

Finally decided to buckle down and create some playlists in iTunes. At first, I tried just going through my library and dragging songs to the corresponding genre, for instance. But I realized I was putting some of the same songs in different playlists. So then I tried unchecking all my tracks and just checking the ones I wanted going into a specific playlist. Very tedious, but I guess that's what I get for waiting so long. ANYWAY, I was just wondering if there is a way to mass select the "checked" tracks instead of selecting them one by and dragging them to the playlist. Also, any other tips or ideas would very much be appreciated. Thanks!

Tag your tracks. I use MP3Tag.

Make sure you populate the Genre tag.

Then create a Smart Playlist (Google it ;-) ) for each Genre in iTunes.

Job done.

The key thing to take from this post: TAG YOUR TRACKS. Make Smart playlists based on those tags.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Schalenberg

What do you mean by "tag your tracks?" Sorry, had to ask it. This is all new to me.

Tech Guru

mp3 tags like Artist, Title, etc.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

You can store information about mp3's in the mp3 file as text.

D/L mp3Tag and read the info on their site...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by nudedudewithattitude View Post
    Finally decided to buckle down and create some playlists in iTunes. At first, I tried just going through my library and dragging songs to the corresponding genre, for instance. But I realized I was putting some of the same songs in different playlists. So then I tried unchecking all my tracks and just checking the ones I wanted going into a specific playlist. Very tedious, but I guess that's what I get for waiting so long. ANYWAY, I was just wondering if there is a way to mass select the "checked" tracks instead of selecting them one by and dragging them to the playlist. Also, any other tips or ideas would very much be appreciated. Thanks!
    sounds like you need to do two things here

A) while all the songs are loaded into a MAIN playlist in itunes
    listen to them
    rigth click them
    click SONG INFO
    and then add info where needed + alter the genre in the bottom field

Ok great you got that down and you edited ALL your tracks

Now look at your COLUMNS in your playlist. You should see one marked GENRE
    click it and you just sorted ALL your tracks per genre together.

Now you can drag them to their corresponding genre playlist elsewhere in iTunes

ok there is something else you need to do.... im sure of it.
    You have download (sorry i mean) You have PURCHASED a ton of songs, and some of them in packs of songs.
    Ok so now its a mess of songs in the same place but not all are Trance, not all are House, and so on

not a problem
    What i do when i dowload a pack of songs is
    i load them all into iTunes
    listen to each one from the folder they came from
    in the playlist i delete the ones i DONT like
    all thats left is what i DO like.

Now select ALL the songs in that left over list
    and drag them ALL to a NEW FOLDER in your computer

iTunes will copy them all into there

Now the old folder they came from, well, yuo dont need that anymore so delete the entire folder
    Besidse it contains songs you dont want and they are taking space.

Hows that for ya?

Schalenberg

I just spent about 10 days listening and scrapping my entire collection, so I'm good in that area. I have about 1,800 tracks I'm working with now. What I've been doing is adding music to iTunes/Rekordbox according to the day the tracks were acquired. So, for example, today I will be adding June 2013 into my iTunes/Rekordbox. I'm trying to sort the music month by month, but some months have about 100 tracks and halfway through my organizing I usually get lost in the categorization of it all. Genres I have so far are Disco, Nu Disco, Deep House, Garage, Acid, and Techno. So it's just hectic trying to get all that sorted. I will tag the tracks though. I just feel by the time I go through that process, I won't have actually touched my equipment for 2 weeks. Sucks.

Don't do it all at once then. Just set aside a few of hours a week to do it instead. I went through and tagged my whole library about a year ago in small doses (4-5 hours a week, plus tagging on the fly at gigs if I played out tracks that I hadn't tagged). Took me a couple of months in total to do it, but it's well worth it, and from then on I only have to do anything when I add new tracks on a weekly basis, and it takes no time at all!
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Schalenberg

So let me get this straight. Tagging your mp3s means selecting each track and detailing it? Definitely gonna check out MP3Tag out, but how will that make it any easier? Won't I still have to "describe" each track individually?

Yes, but you can do bulk editing in MP3Tag, so you can select 20 tracks that you're going to tag as 'Disco' and tag them all the same in 1 go. Much faster than doing each one individually.

How are your tracks organised on your hard drive??
    Mobile DJ. 2 x Denon SC2900, Denon MC-6000 MK2, Wharfedale Titan 15a Powered Speakers, Titan A15 Subs, HP laptop. Shed load of lights!! Maschine Mikro MK2, Xone:K2.

2nd Generation Mobile DJ
    2G on Twitter | 2G on Facebook
    | RobDQuick On Soundcloud

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast