Not enough time to practice?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Not enough time to practice?

So I'm currently a college student, riddled with school and work. I've been trying to get some time in to practice my skills so they don't get rusty(i.e. beatmatching). However I don't have a lot of time to practice or make podcasts as much anymore and it's been like this for the past few months.

Any tips for getting some good practice in, even if it's for 30 minutes a day or something.

I also been trying to have weekly podcast episodes, but I haven't had time either to prepare and record it(not a fan of going impromptu on a set), any tips on this?

Thanks ahead of time
    -N

Forget the weekly podcasts. I did that for a bit, and in our can't find the free time, don't worry about it for now. Make yourself 30 minutes a day to practice, but remember, you are at school to learn, and hopefully find yourself a good job after school. If school is taking all of your free time, maybe put djing on the back burner until the summer, or just be happy with whatever practice you can get in.
    Think about the time you could have spent on the decks instead of writing that post, and then reading this one lol. Either make time, or just take it as a hobby for now, until you do have time.

Now go practice.
    2 x gemini PT 1000 . Gemini PS-525 . X1
    NI Audio 6 . Traktor Scratch pro 2
    2007 Macbook Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mighty FV View Post
    manners don't cost a thing dude - never forget that, it'll help you in all walks of life.

Dont make excuses. Thats my tip.

I work 81 hours a week, 7 days a week and have an hour drive to and from work. So tack on another 14 hours a week to that 81. I have a wife, a 6 year old and still go to Crossfit 3 times a week. I kind of feel like if I can find time to practice, ANYONE can find time to practice.

Good luck homie.

Schalenberg

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post

I work 81 hours a week, 7 days a week and have an hour drive to and from work. So tack on another 14 hours a week to that 81. I have a wife, a 6 year old and still go to Crossfit 3 times a week. I kind of feel like if I can find time to practice, ANYONE can find time to practice.

Good luck homie.
    Wow, Will! How the tits do you do that?!

Gotta do it for the family...

...oh yea, also for the gear whore lust

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by noa132 View Post
    So I'm currently a college student, riddled with school and work. I've been trying to get some time in to practice my skills so they don't get rusty(i.e. beatmatching). However I don't have a lot of time to practice or make podcasts as much anymore and it's been like this for the past few months.

Any tips for getting some good practice in, even if it's for 30 minutes a day or something.

I also been trying to have weekly podcast episodes, but I haven't had time either to prepare and record it(not a fan of going impromptu on a set), any tips on this?

Thanks ahead of time
    -N
    Not really sure what you're trying to get out of this thread? If you don't have time to practice, that's that. There's nothing you can really do about it unless you free up time by dropping something else.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

go wake up 30 mins earlier than you usually do and practice before you prepare going to school. or like dripstep says, practice now instead of wasting your time posting about not having a practice session.

I work 10 hours a day, and spend the whole day out during weekends with my family or with my in-laws. I practice when my wife is asleep. i have insomnia though,
    Pizza | Coke | Burger | Fries | Milkshake
    my RGAS story

Quote Originally Posted by noa132 View Post

Thanks ahead of time
    -N
    Drop the podcasts, they're a bit of a waste of time, especially if you're learning.

I'm doing a law degree, working nearly full time along with other life things and your right some weeks its hard to find the time, but you can always find time if you try hard enough. Otherwise just make the most of your holidays.

Like others have said. Always put studies first, that shit will earn you money, DJing tends to have the opposite effect, especially when you're starting off.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by William Gibson View Post

Good luck homie.
    Everything this guy said. This is so good, you can shut the topic down because there isn't more to add.

No-one can help you but you.

@William Gibson: I am in awe of you.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast