Random ableton question

Default Random ableton question

For all of you who have ableton and might know what I mean...
    When you first install live you get that little extra side box on the right where they have tutorials with picture and writing, and that side thing even opens when you open the file manager. I was wondering if it is possible to open that up and put my own pictures or texts ( Probably not possible? )
    It is probably a dumb question, but hey!, I just learned a few days ago you can drop a movie track into ableton which I would not thought possible to do

Thats a good question.... I don't think it is possible but i could be wrong, i never thought of doing that before. Would be cool for users to create their own tutorials, people to download them and for them to appear in that list.

And yeah that movie is pretty invaluable if your trying to score music to a visual project !

Tech Mentor

You can write your own notes in the info box bottom left corner. Not sure about pictures though.

Tech Wizard

from what I remember, it's entirely possible to make your own tutorials and so on for use in that right-hand pane - the details are just a normal text file with extra tags (a little like HTML) for images and formatting functions. I saw a webpage on how to do it one time, can't for the life of me remember where right now though, will have a look through my bookmarks...

Fus

Make a new folder and give it any name you want . Inside that folder you make another folder with the same name as the Live project you wish to keep note's on. And add "Lessons" to the end. Like this:
    "My project Lessons".

Now either put your Live .als file in the first folder. Or make a copy of it and put it there. Including samples if the set was self-contained.

Make an empty .txt file in the "my project Lessons" folder. Save it as "LessonsEN.txt"

Now if you go back to the previous folder and double click on your Live set. When it starts up you will have an empty sheet on the right. You can hide it by going to the menu "view" and choose lesson.

Editing the .txt file

This uses simple syntax
    To make a page with a title. Type: "$Page your title here"
    To display something in bold, you type it like this: /this will be bold/
    Every time you save the .txt file and go back to Live, the info will be updated. You do not need to save anything to that Live set. This is a non-destructive method. If you wish to remove the lesson. just delete the "My project Lessons" folder with the text file in it.

If you want to include picture's. You will have to save them as .tif file's. And they have to be ibm (intel) encoded.
    On mac you can convert any picture with the included app called "graphic converter"
    On windows there shouldn't be any problems neither, figuring it's a windows format.

To include these picture's in your set. First throw them in the "my project Lessons" folder.
    If you go back to your .txt file and type the name (example: figure1.tif) and save it. It will show up in your Lesson view.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Niiiice, i could do this for my smart-mixer

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Niiiice, i could do this for my smart-mixer
    Please do that would ROCK!

Quote Originally Posted by JuanSOLO View Post
    Please do that would ROCK!
    Will do, would definitely would be handy having a little step by step tutorial built right into ableton that explains mapping and how to use the setup
    Last edited by BentoSan; 10-03-2009 at 01:20 PM.

Tech Mentor

Indeed!

nice! thanks guys !