Genre Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genre Question

Default Genre Question

Hey guys,

Just a random thought/question. With everything getting classified and re-classified into subgenres these days, especially with house music, what's the consensus for the style house music with artists like DJ Dan, Phunk Investigation, My Digital Enemy, etc etc. Certainly hi-energy, but I wouldn't call it big room (i.e. progressive or electro). Is it just kind of referred to as house or straight house?

ignore the sub genre classifications, they are just marketing labels mate. i tag all my house tracks as either funky, tech or progressive.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Point taken - but whether those classifications make a lot of sense or not, sometimes they can be useful. Just wondering how other people referred to that style of house in conversation, or when marketing themselves, etc.

Tech Guru

It depends on the individual track too. I've just listened to some Phunk Investigation and a few tracks were techno, some were electro, and another was almost disco.
    VCM100 / X1 / DJM250 / DJM900 / CDJ2000s / Maschine / Audio2+4 / 2i4 / HS8s / TSP 2.6.8
    Macbook Air i7-3667U+8GB 10.9 / Win7x64 i5-3570k+24GB

Same with DJ Dan, he's produced some really hard tracks, some disco tracks, funky tracks (this seems his latest groove). I also find certain artists produce different styles based on the Label they'll put the track out on.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Falls under "house" if you can't identify it correctly lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    yep or just go by bpm
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

Snare -> House
    No snare -> Trance
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Snare -> House
    No snare -> Trance
    Rofl. I think BPM is an easier way to tell trance vs house.

Never really thought about that though.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Thought you American folks labeled everything un-genrable with a beat "EDM" these days

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast