Mobile solar studio
    Tech Wizard

Default Mobile solar studio

So I have been bouncing around the idea of purchasing an rv and putting a small studio in it and traveling for a few years I want to be as off grid as possible so I want to put a solar powered system on it. my studio would consist of my macbook, ableton push, I pad, two studio monitors, a behringer mixing board, and a couple small synths. Can anyone who has done anything similar to this give me ideas on where to start and how many watts I would need to generate. l will have the money in the next six months to start on this project and hope to hit the road sometime in 2015 so any advice info to help me flesh out my ideas here would be appreciated!
    2011 Macbook pro, apc 40, x1, Maschine mikro, Ableton Suite, Traktor Pro

Quote Originally Posted by mr.Byrd2593 View Post
    So I have been bouncing around the idea of purchasing an rv and putting a small studio in it and traveling for a few years I want to be as off grid as possible so I want to put a solar powered system on it. my studio would consist of my macbook, ableton push, I pad, two studio monitors, a behringer mixing board, and a couple small synths. Can anyone who has done anything similar to this give me ideas on where to start and how many watts I would need to generate. l will have the money in the next six months to start on this project and hope to hit the road sometime in 2015 so any advice info to help me flesh out my ideas here would be appreciated!
    i think there are a few things you need to do first
    Figure out all the things you want or need to run.
    By looking at the info for those things, you can see how many WATTS they consume.

Now, double that usage whatever it is. You want to make sure you have a NICE BIG BUFFER.
    Always generate MORE than you are using.

Secondly.
    Youll need some place to STORE this energy because we all know, not every day is a sunny day.
    And at night, youll need power from somewhere
    What are you looking for here are called "Deep Cycle Batteries" commonly used on large outboard motor equipment.

Tertiary - (my big word for the day) thanks for giving me the opportunity to use that hhaahah
    Now that you have the NEED WATTS equated and the STORAGE SPACE FOR WATTS equated
    youll need to know just how much average these panels can pull from the sun

Let me tell yuo from experiance, it isnt much for the dollar.
    You need some good sized panels to get something decent.
    And then, youll need multiples + a couple spares
    This is going on an RV right? well panels dont like to be jostled around and they are fragile

There is your start hommie

good luck

Just an idea, but what about adding a few small wind turbines that would charge your batteries while you are driving and on windy days?

Tech Wizard

Thanks for the ideas guys I can get a solar rv kit that generates about 1,000 watts on a sunny day for around 700 bucks so I was hoping two of these would do the trick I am definately going to have to be strategic about what studio gear I bring with.
    2011 Macbook pro, apc 40, x1, Maschine mikro, Ableton Suite, Traktor Pro

Tech Guru

Just get a petrol (gas) generator and be done with it, fuck. Cheaper and all you have to do is carry a few gas cans around with you. I know you said "off the grid" but buying petrol isn't exactly being "on the grid". You'll have to get gas to power the RV anyway so why not just fill up a few cans whilst you're there?

Also when you're stuck in the wilderness and about to die and your solar panels have packed in cause they're caked in crap and you have no water to clean them... You're gonna waste your dying breath wishing you had a petrol generator.

That's my thoughts anyway. Best of luck to you if you go for the more expensive and unreliable spaceman route though!
    Kontrol S4Senn HD 25-1Kontrol F1